Is your doctor using the breastfed baby growth charts if your baby is breastfed? ASK!

Here is the link for all the growth percentiles for breastfed babies: http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/chart_catalogue/en/index.html

Print them out and bring them with you. Remember that a baby's individual curve of growth is what is important. Being in the 95% percentile for height simply means the baby is taller than the average baby, NOT healthier. In a group of 100 babies, such a baby would be taller than all but 5. A baby in the 3% percentile for weight is simply a light boned slender baby, not sickly or needing to be fattened. Slender babies follow the same curve TYPE as heavy rolly babies. Some babies are petite and linebackers but most are between. The only concern is when growth STOPS and the baby is sickly or not meeting milestones, and is off their own curve significantly.

amileegirl

Asked by amileegirl at 2:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Right on momma!! I learned about this in my Lactation Class! It means my "bigger" breastfed baby was actually spot on!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• my ped. just says the growth charts are to track growth progress and to compare height % with weight % (they should be about the same).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Height and weight do not have to be the same. You can be tall and slight, or tall and heavy, or short and slight, or short and stocky. The percents won't match in those cases. My girl is exceptionally tall 90% but her weight is about 50% on the bfed chart...thus she is very slender/muscular. Tall but petite at the same time.
    amileegirl

Comment by amileegirl (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Thankfully our pediatrician doesn't ever discuss growth charts with us. She focuses on Chloe consistently growing/meeting milestones.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 6:37 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Why does it matter which chart they use? As long as a child is following their curve, it doesn't matter where they are on the growth chart.

Answer by missanc at 7:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I really just ignore ours she thinks my son is a little small well if she would look at his sister and his father she would see that is pretty normal. So I nod and smile and keep on keeping on he is gaining weight and is happy and healthy so what if he is skinny like his daddy
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:30 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• missanc because a lot of the time peds will use the "falling off the chart" line on mothers to stop breastfeeding, or supplement, or start early solids. I wish they wouldn't use those charts at all, but they do. At least if they use the proper one it would help.
    amileegirl

Comment by amileegirl (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• How is this chart different from any other growth chart?
    squeekymoonkin

Answer by squeekymoonkin at 4:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2010