Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

First car accident since I've had my licence....

I was side swiped by a hit and run driver last night that was going the wrong direction with no lights on. It was midnight and I had my kids in the car. I saw them a head of time and swerved. If I didn't it would have been head on collation. There isn't much damage, looks under $500 which is out deductible. Is it worth even going through the insurance company? This is my very first car accident since I've gotten my license at 16 so 6 years. I jinked myself. I was just leaving from visiting a friend and I was giving him a hard time because he's been in so many accidents and I said I've never been in one. Couple hours later I get in one. Where was that wood when I needed it...


Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 43 (154,356 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • How scary! Thank God you & the kids are okay! I hope you filed a police report. You may be surprised at how much the damage is. Body work is very expensive. If I were you, I'd file the police report, & get the estimate. If it turns out to be more than your deductible, then turn it in to your insurance. In the mean time, if they find the other person, (& assuming they have insurance, your insurance co. can go after them to pay for damages.) It's ashame that we have to be afraid to use our insurance for fear of paying more even when it's not our fault! It's a racket!

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • I would. I'd want my car fixed at a reputable dealer. You don't know how much damage there may be under the car.

    Answer by meandmyshadow at 2:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • You might go ahead and get an estimate. Most home-town body shops will work with you to help adjust out your deductible. As far as your insurance goes, I would call them and at least inform them after you get an estimate, and especially if you can determine who the other driver was. If you can find the car that hit you, your insurance can make them pay for the damages, and if they don't have insurance, your insurance will sue for damages, as well as slap a big, fat, fine on whoever owns the car for not carrying insurance. If your car has any damage to the paint, the whole panel has to be removed, stripped, primed, painted and put back on. My car door alone cost $1100 to repaint and replace a little trim. My husband's tailgate was $2700, just to remove a dent, repaint, and put the decals and light back on. (They can't reuse the decals once they pull them off.) Any trim will have to be replaced, pin-striping, everything costs!

    Answer by matobe at 3:09 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • if its less than the deductible then I owuld by pass insurance and save yourself from the hike in insurance premiums

    Answer by kjbennett26 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • OMG I am glad you and the kids are alright...Next time you say something that you might think you've jinx make sure there is wood. If none FIND SOME!!! GL

    Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • Go and get an estimate. I would avoid insurance at all cost. If the damage is minimal then you can pay for it out of pocket and run no chance of your insurance going up. If it is more I would still try to pay it out of pocket.

    Answer by Melbornj at 3:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • get an estimate (well, get 2 actually) and see which will be cheaper

    Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2010