Anyone know how to do binary conversions?

I am learning this in school(online), and somewhat understand the binary to decimal to hexidecimal conversion, but if it is a 4 digit decimal like 2678, I don't where to begin. Calculator use is not allowed. I can do decimals up to 3 digits. I am just bewildered. Maybe someone has some tips or a site than can help. I've tried many sites already and youtube also, but doing 4 or more digit decimal conversions, I go into panic mode. Help and thanks.

mommieGem

Asked by mommieGem at 2:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• Im no help but ill give you a bump! Good luck
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• BTW... Im relearning math... Just so I know what my kids are doing and this site has been helping me... Maybe it can be of use...
    http://www.coolmath.com/0-math-help-lessons.html
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• You just keep dividing by 2. The easiest way is the down and up method. Put your number at the top of a column. Divide by 2. Write the answer under the number, and to the right of it, if there's a remainder, put a 1, if there isn't put a 0. Now divide your answer by 2, do the same thing, write the answer underneath and put a 1 to the right for a remainder, or a 0 if there is none. Keep going down like that until you run out of numbers. If your last number is 1, that counts as a remainder of 1, if your last number is 0, that counts as a 0. Your binary number will be all the 1's and 0's you wrote down, starting with the bottom and going up, so like this:
    8 0
    4 0
    2 0
    1 1
    0 0
    (remember, the last time you divide will either be 2/1, which equals 1, 3/1 which equals 1 with remainder 1. you have to do that last step dividing 1 by 2 to get 0, remainder 1, then your next line is 0/2 and you're done)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• You gals are super awesome!
    mommieGem

Comment by mommieGem (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2010