Utah taking it too far?

I can understand taking action for the 17 year old who paid someone to beat her up in hopes of losing her baby, but at the same time is this bill just taking it way to far? Pro choice or pro life, what do you guys think?

http://womensrights.change.org/blog/view/utahs_new_abortion_law_threatens_to_punish_innocent_women_for_miscarriages

http://womensrights.change.org/blog/view/pregnant_iowa_woman_arrested_for_falling_down

prettypaper

Asked by prettypaper at 3:09 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course, I realize both of those articles are from different states as well. But I just think its gone to far.
    prettypaper

Comment by prettypaper (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Utah had gone a lot of times. It;s nothing new. I hate living here.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• WOW!!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Wow! I would think that would be really hard to prosecute. How do you prove intent?

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• It would probably be like any other murder trial, the prosecutor would have to come up with proof that she intended to murder her baby.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 6:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Oh that makes me sick that a girl would ask some somone to beat her up so that she would lose the baby.
    Is abortion illegal again? I know it is not but... Imean....
    Oh yeah, that IS Utah. Sigh....
    But she could give it up for adoption.
    However,I am so sick of that state.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• So it's okay to purposefully murder your baby by abortion, but it's super wrong to murder your baby by paying someone to beat you up.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 8:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I'm sorry, but this is really upsetting and disgusting to me. So pro-choicers would have been fine if this girl had paid someone to stick a needle through her baby's skull and sucked its brains out and murdered it, but paying someone to beat her up to cause a miscarriage is just too wrong? How is this any different than an abortion? Either way it's murdering a baby's life.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 8:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• By posting this I wanted to pose the question of 'criminal charges' to a woman who falls down some stairs. They want to stretch the line of what they can consider murder. A miscarriage is not murder. Falling down the stairs is not attempted murder. Just because you wondered if you should keep your baby because she have no money and your alone and your scared in the beginning of your pregnancy is not a reason to arrest a woman.

As I said at the top of my post, I do not condone a woman paying someone to beat her up in hopes she would lose her child. I honestly That was not the issue of the debate.
    prettypaper

Comment by prettypaper (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2010