Would you take your sick kid to the supermarket?

Here's the dilemma;

You have a 2 year old who has a bad cold and cough, they are sneezy and irritable, but not screaming, crying or puking.
You have nobody to look after them, but you NEED to go shopping for food/diapers etc -

do you take your sick kid to the shop and risk getting everyone else and their kids sick?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No, I ask hubby to pick up what I have to have on the way home or wait until he can stay with the child.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• well honestly i would rather take them and risk getting other people sick than starve my family to death. it's not like he has the plague....it's a cold
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Absolutely, what else are you going to do? People are exposed to germs all the time. Your taking a kid with a cold somewhere doesn't mean everyone he comes in contact with will get sick.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i would have to..all there is, is me!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• yes, i've had to take my son out before. If i have someone to keep him of course i will wait to go but sometimes there isnt anyone to keep him and we may need to go pick up a perscription right away or something else..of course i'm gonna take him
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yes. It's a cold. You come in contact with more germs than that on the shopping cart.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 3:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yes I would and I have. My kids don't go visit with people while we're shopping so I don't see they problem. They sit in the cart with my cart cover on it or in the back or the cart so they aren't touching anything wither. I have taken them when they were sicker to get a Rx for them.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 3:57 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Hmm, I'm getting voted down because I wouldn't make my sick child go to the store? Really, people, I'm thinking of the kid here.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yep.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• If I had no other choice, yes. Other people are responsible for their own personal hygiene. I'd be more worried about my child being more susceptible to cathcing something else since theor defenses are down.

The way you are describing it, it's either stay home in need of diapers & food (so he'd be soiled & hungry) or bring him to the store (&he may be more irritable & uncompfortable), not much of a choice. Certainly not the end of the world.

"No, I ask hubby to pick up what I have to have on the way home or wait until he can stay with the child."
    & scout your answer doesn't apply. That may be why you're being voted down. If you have DH you've got to help. The question is if you have NOBODY.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:06 PM on Oct. 30, 2010