Do you volunteer at your kids school?

What events are you usually helping at? Do you hate to volunteer? Do you wish more moms were like you and volunteered? Do you feel there is enough parents that are helping that you don't need too? Why you do you volunteer? Why don't you volunteer?

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 3:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I volunteer at a local elementary school as a mentor. My kids are grown, and my grandchildren don't live near by. I feel it's needed. I worked and went to school when my boys were little, but still did some volunteering. It's helpful to the kids, and rewarding to me.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I've never volunteered.  My kids' old school made it too difficult with hoops to jump through just to be allowed in the school.  Now they are at a new school that makes it easy and is very inviting I'd love to volunteer but I have 2 kids at home still so it's not really an option.  I offered to help with stuff at home for my 2nd grader.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i voulenteer in the garden because it is something i like and i don't have to deal with other parents
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• In elementary years I was on a list of moms willing to help out and they called as they needed us for different things. In middle school years I helped run the school store with several other moms.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I volunteered every year as homeroom mom when my kids were in public school. I also worked with the PTO at both their school and the one I worked for. Even after we began homeschooling I stayed on the PTO at one school for 6 months because they couldn't get parents to help out. Yes, I think if more volunteered there would be better benefits for the kids - there is only so much a handful can do alone.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My son's school requires parent service hours each year....40 for one kid, 60 for 2 kids, and 70 for three kids.

In the past I have helped in the classroom, done copying, graded papers, etc. My preference is to work outside of the classroom because I have two preschoolers and it is hard to find a sitter. So I like to cover books.

This quarter however, I am teaching origami for a goal hour class. Next quarter I will probably teach something else.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I've volunteered for all kinds of things and my oldest just started kindergarten.

I chaperoned their first field trip to a Dairy Farm. I cut out their Halloween "Boo Grams" (like valentines?) - I volunteered for the Fall Carnival just the other night and worked the Snow Cone booth. I'm signed up to also help with the upcoming Book Fair and the Jog-a-thon...I think there was something else I put my name down for too; but I can't remember now...

This is part of why I wanted to be a SAHM so I could be involved in the things they were doing at school. Yes sometimes it's like "what did I do; what was I thinking" but overall the memories I'm making for them will be more than worth it =)
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i volunteer as much as i can..yesterday i went with her class to a pumpkin patch/petting farm, it was soo much fun!! i like going, because i like to see how my daughter interacts with the other kids (grade 1)..i also help out on pizza day/subway day etc..and when they have cupcake sales i go too..i attend the PAC meetings every month..this is the first year i started being involved..last year i did some, but never went to the PAC meetings..i was shocked to see that not many people are involved..i was thinkin there were gonna be like 30-40 people there..there were 8!!! plus the 4 head people..so 12 all together..not many people have volunteered much this year either..yesterday there were only 2 other moms there..i mean i understand people work..but at the same time..there are SOOO many SAHM's that i would think there would be more..considering in my daughters class there are 23 students...but whatever...i do my part!! :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I sure do volunteer at my kids school. I have one in middle school and one in elementary and am part of both PTA in addition to the Great American Teach In.
    RealestRican

Answer by RealestRican at 3:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I love to volunteer, I like being involved.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 4:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2010