Is it me or is this just rude?

Our number is very close to the police department's number so we are always getting wrong number calls. The ones that really gripe me are those who call ME and then when I say "Hello" the first thing out of their mouth is "Who is this?" I find it very hard to be nice to these people, I also have to wonder why they would do that if they thought they had the police station. Do you find that rude?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 3:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well when some one calls me and asks "who is this?" I always say "Me" who are you trying to reach?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• LOL yeah I find that rude - you called me "Who are YOU" is what I tell them back!

I also find it rude when I tell someone I'm sorry you must have the wrong # and they just hang up. Really? An "Oh I'm sorry" would kill you?

Miss Manners has left the bldg...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me that people say "who is this?" when they dial a wrong number. I always say "who are you calling?". Our number was clsoe to a restaurant's in town for a long time. Sometimes my DH would get so frustrated getting the calls he actually took a few "to go" orders over the phone. Bad, I know..........
    Anonymous

• Then change your number. I mean you can continue to be honked off by it or YOU can do something to prevent it.

I have called the non emergency number many times and every single time I get nervous. There is no reason for me to be nervous, but I am.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i can see it being frustrating but i think saying things like "who the hell are you" or "you called me"..are far worse than them asking who you are...i'm sure they are aware they've called the wrong number, maybe they are just wanting you to clarify that when they are asking who is this. I would never be so rude. I've had a woman call my phone once and left a message for the wrong person. I called her back just to let her know she had called the wrong number...(her message seemed to be pretty important)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I would just change my number.. Sorry but problem solved.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yup I just shoot back "who the hell is this YOU called MY phone" I also cant stand when someone calls and i send it to VM they hear me on my VM yet still leave a message looking for "bob" or whoever. I got really pissed last week a lady called and asked for "lisa" I nicely told her you have the wrong number so she hung up w/o saying sorry or ok thanks or anything so about 2 hours later she called again but i was AFP so when I saw the missed call i nicely sent her a text saying "you called me earlier you have the wrong number" 5 minutes later she called AGAIN so by then I answered and said "Look I done told you more than once you have the wrong number so im gonna need you to stop calling my phone right about fucking now!" and hung up she never called again :)
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 3:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I agree that it is rude, but I would try to have more patience with them. If they are trying to call the police department, they are probably under stress and being nice is not at the forethought of their minds in that moment.

I would get sick of it after a while and change my number. We had a number that was close to the RA's number at a nearby college dorm , we got calls at all time of day and night. I was soooo relieved when we got a new number.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Nope, that's just rude!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I would ask them the same thing back.

Answer by louise2 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2010