birthday party etiquette / thank you note question

against my better judgement i went with my son to one of his classmates' birthday party (they are in kindergarten). we went and everyone ignored me and treated me rudely (but that's a different post lol)....at least my son had fun. the party was at a indoor soccer arena and we were all rushed at the end because their time was running out. basically it was eat the cake then everybody started leaving, so she opened the presents at home i guess. so my question is since she didn't open the presents at the party, shouldn't they have sent thank you notes? the party was on oct. 2 or 3 i think. i have no idea if she even got the present....i just put it in the pile. would it be rude for me to email the mother and ask if she got our present? we were already off to an icy start lol

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you haven’t gotten a note by now since the party was in Oct 2 or 3, I think I just let it go. So long as your son had fun that all that matters.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Forget about it. I'm sure your son isn't worried. It is his friend after all.
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 6:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Gosh, that is simply rude. If you are not there when they open the present they should send a card or note. However, I would not address the matter in an e-mail espeially since you are already off to a rocky start. What if you had your son send a card thanking him for inviting him to the party and maybe HE could say, I hope you liked your present? That would be wrong too I guess so I am no help. Sorry you have had to encounter such rude people.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I would let it go, but probably would not go back to another birthday for that child. Yes, thank you cards would have been appropriate, I think they are for any party, but most people just don't take the time.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• in that situation, i would most definetly have done thank you notes...i never have done them, because both myself and my daighters say thankyou at the time...and again when they leave...but..i dont think i would follow up on an email, asking if they received it..that just seems kinda weird..but at the same time its rude of them not to acknowledge anything..can you just ask them when you see them next?? say something like "ohh how did 'billy' like the ______ we got him for his bday?"
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• alexis.....i don't ever see anyone lol. even the invites were just sent home with the homework folders
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I would just let it go. Some people send thank yous and some don't so don't hold it against her either. (you never really know other people's situations, ya know.)
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 8:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It was extremely rude, but you don't want to stoop to her level and be rude as well. Just let it go. And for the future, always send a thank you note, no matter what.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Being ignored and snubbed is one reason I stopped taking my son to non-family birthday parties. Fortunately though, it's not like he's missing out on anything yet since he's only 3. Hopefully he'll fare better when he's older and has friends.

Anyway, let it go, but don't go to anymore of their parties.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• They should have. Definitely.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 3:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2010