Can anyone explain the whole Tween thing?

I just started hearing that word a couple of years ago and wondered how it all came about? I actually like it. I think it fits children ages 9 - 12 well.

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Tween is an American neologism and marketing term that means roughly the same thing as preteen. It is a portmanteau word of between and teen. The age range of tweens is generally considered to be eight to twelve years of age. Marketers describe the driving psychographic motivation of this group as desperately wanting to be a teen, but not about to stop being a kid. The term was first used in J.R.R. Tolkien's 1954 novel "The Lord of the Rings" to refer to Hobbits in their twenties; "...tweens as Hobbits called the irresponsible twenties between childhood and the coming of age at thirty-three." -Tolkien, J.R.R; The Lord of the Rings; The Fellowship of the Ring. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preadolescence

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:35 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• WOW! THAT WAS AN AWESOME QUICK ANSWER THAT I NEVER THOUGHT WAS ON WIKIPEDIA LOL. THANKS, FROM THE MOM OF A 10 YEAR OLD THAT STILL CALL HIM HER BABY!!!!!!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Gigi1969, I agree totally. My "BABY (boy)" is 10!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:26 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• OK here's what I think it is: 1. Infant month's, 2. Toddler year's, 3. Tween. 4. Teenager's, 5. Adult's. I think it's just another name to go along with the rest of the names for this. And also tween is middle between elementary and middle school age student's and also called youth for church on somethings. Not to sure with what it is myself but that's my suggestion of what it is.
    snickers1201

Answer by snickers1201 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2008