Why do people complain about families doing exactly what the police tell them to do?

(Yes, this is a current event, not a Holiday question, go recat your points for no reason somewhere else)

It's been in the news a lot this week that more and more cities are adding to the usual police safety guidelines saying kids should only TorT at houses with porch lights on, to forbidding registered sex offenders from having their porch lights on tonight or tomorrow (whichever night their town hands out candy) after 5PM. It's not like it's a new rule that was just sprung on people. They've been adding the restrictions for years:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-10-29-halloween_N.htm
And they've added even more this year:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-in-halloween-sexoffe,0,3210354.story

So why is it, knowing that the police tell kids to ONLY go to houses with the porch light on, every year there are people who leave the light on knowing it's Halloween, and then complain about kids ringing the bell?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Because people like to complain and will look for any little thing to complain about.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• just dont complain about them complain, lol
    but I understand your point
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 4:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I don't know, we don't turn the light off until it's bed time because we love trick or treaters.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I get annoyed that when I run out of candy and I turn my porch light off, people still ring my freaking door bell.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• thats why we pack eggs with us
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I will say, in some cases, homes with no lights on can be vandalized (damage night, mischief night) because the kids can do it unseen. But, I agree, if they want their porchlight on they need to understand kids will ring their doorbells.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 4:09 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• well, since you pulled the article up, Im going to comment on it. In Maryland it said that the big bold stay away Im a sex offender sign is going to be a great big orange pumpkin, who came up with that...maybe it should be a sign that simply says, "stay away Im a sex offender with a cross and skull...We have never gone to houses without porch lights on, and Im always with my kids at the door, no matter what. Our kids, our responsibilities
    Anonymous

• We haven't had problems in our neighborhood and I keep my lights off...then go out with the grandkids. Nice kids ,I guess,in the area.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• In an interesting twist, after that, *ahem* individual left a comment on my blog, I found out there's a whole group of individuals that feel like the poor little pedophiles are being picked on. Didn't know that. Weird stuff.

I'm glad that there are places that have rules about this stuff. It makes me happy. It also makes me wonder if the rules are Constitutional.

This is the first year we'll have trick or treaters, and we won't be home. I'm making Ghosts out of milk gallons and hanging them tightly up high enough that parents will have to assist trick or treaters in getting their treats, so no one can dump. I guess I will leave the light on.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2010