how to get a child to stop rubbing pooh on the walls.. they are 4 and will be 5 in December

they are adopted at age 2 still remembers bad things that happened to them there are two younger ones that are fine, they don't remember their past. She also has anger issues.

TAT703

Asked by TAT703 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At that age I would be making them clean up the mess (or at least help). Four and five are old enough to know better.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:06 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Well are making them clean it up and themselves with supervision, but they continue to do so .. any thoughts how to make it stop? About to lose mind.. have a 3 and 2 year old also..
    TAT703

Comment by TAT703 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think that is a spankable offense. Even though they have bad memories, they need to be taught to respect property and to behave in a civilized manner. At 4 and 5, they are old enough to understand when you tell them that this is not tolerated in our home and that it has to stop. Tell them that the next time it happens, they will be lovingly spanked as discipline and as a reminder that this behavior will not be tolerated. You need spank only 2 or 3 swats but it has to sting. The sting of disobedience and disrespect will change behavior. You then should tell them that you love them too much to allow them to grow up doing whatever they choose to do.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• thank you. just been on going for over a week or more with all the above tried and still going on.
    TAT703

Comment by TAT703 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• A good spanking and be made to clean it up....
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I'd spank them too at least once to see if it is effective. If not, seek help via the doc. Adopted kids have different needs and respond differently.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Poopfests are not ok....100 percent supervision will stop them....you can get those lands end one piece jambes and tie them top (knot).

Take screens away....and when you get a run of good behavior, get them screens or gaming. Especially boys, they will do almost anything to feed that old brain spacial area that screens hit well. Leapsters are great and it is the first thing that gets pulled if kids don't do the rules....

Keep your head on....they must be getting something out of it...sensory, a big reaction from you? You are not alone with the poopfests!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 4:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Maybe take the child to a child therapist to see if there's an underlying problem causing this behavior. Is the child fine otherwise? I know you mentioned she has anger issues but other behavioral issues? It sounds like there's more to it than just being sassy, I'd have them evaluated by a professional before you go hauling off spanking them and causing more psychological damage.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Please dont take this as bashing of any sort.

There is a faze most if not all kids go through with the whole "poopfest". Both my kids did at about 2.5. Spankings and making them help in clean up and explaining how nasty it is cut the frequency of incidents down a LOT. After they were potty trained there hasnt been another insident.

Having said that I believe at 5 a child should be at least 90% potty trained. Night accidents are bound to happen but they shouldnt be pooping anywhere but the toilet at that age. If this is happening at night the only thing I can suggest is the spankings, cleaning and a good conversation.
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 10:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• OMG.......CLEAN UP AND SPANKING wont help! Plus my kid never needed a Dr to tell me that he was normal. OK so a small percent of kids do this but it is normal. I had it happen lots with my 4 yr old. So here is the trick. Calm down. Take a minute if you need to, poop isnt going anywhere. Have the kid help you clean up yes. I researched it and tested it. Take the kid into the shower, talk calmly, tell them why your upset about this (messy, stinky, germs, can get sick, other people will think we are dirty, whatever works) as your talking calmly you need to be showering them with COOL water. It says not cold but I did it pretty cold. It sucks for you to have to watch and you get cold too but it wont happen much more. If you continue to have this problem after a few times of that, then I would seek a Dr. Try this first. Let me know if it works for you. Our clean date is 12/19/2009
    VanessaU

Answer by VanessaU at 12:52 AM on Oct. 31, 2010