Would you pursue payment for damages to your property if a stray dog showed up to your house every day for 2 weeks?

A stray has been coming to my house daily for two weeks, at least twice a week before then since August. Despite calling the pound several times, I finally caught him at 4 yesterday afternoon.

This dog found his way into our zipped screened-in canopy tent, but couldn't figure out how to get out, so he tore a hole through the side and proceded to yank it to the ground and tear it up further, so bad that we had to trash it.

I called the pound at 4:06, which was 6 minutes too late for animal control to come get him. I was told by the police that I could take him in to the pound in the morning. I left him tied out on a 25' cable in my yard over night, and when I went to load him in the car, he took off after my cat (who was laying on top of my car) and jumped on my hood, scratching the crap out of it.

Would you write this off, or look for the owner yourself?

matobe

Asked by matobe at 4:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would look for the owner myself, I would take a picture if possible print out flyers, that would say if this is your dog please etc...then spring on them the cost of all he or she destroyed.
    Yvette12363

Answer by Yvette12363 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Doesnt sound like their is an owner!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I would not have tried to take him anywhere but made animal control come get him. Since you had him caught and then let him loose, I'm not sure that you can sue anyone for damages.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Ah...I'd blow it off. This is a total pain but it's not worth the fight.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I would not persue it.

Answer by louise2 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Ok, to clarify a little..
    @kiansmom0423......there IS an owner, Thursday night when he peed on our grill he was wearing a brand new nice harness that I had never seen on him before.
    @scout_mom......animal control was gone, and two cops (once last night and once this morning) told me that they could not transport the dog, that I either had to turn him loose, take him there myself, or keep him until Monday when animal control was back on duty. I caught him after trying for two weeks to get him apprehended, what makes you think I would turn him loose? He was on the cable when I was walking him over to open my car's hatch, he jumped onto my car.

I'm also 37wks pregnant, sahm to an 18mo, and thought this COMPLETELY rediculous that the officers could not take him in. And if he wasn't acting like he was DYING with all the racket ALL NIGHT, I'd have kept him on that cable til Monday.
    matobe

Comment by matobe (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My neighbor even felt so bad for him this morning when we woke up, we saw him walking back across our yard with an empty baggie, and when I checked on the dog, he was eating kibble. So, now the dog knows he can find food in my yard. I'm just thrilled!
    matobe

Comment by matobe (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Does the dogs have tags?
    So, you had him tied up in you backyard with no food?
    Just take him in, have him scanned and see if there is a chip, get the owners name and press charges if you really feel thats needed.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• No tags. Every day without a collar except Thursday. And yes, I had him tied up over night in my back yard with no food. He did have a bucket of water, I was not going to give him reason to come back. I took him in, he has no chip, but I have no more $150 screened canopy and a scratched up car now.

matobe

Comment by matobe (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Awww, that poor dog! You are so mean to not give him food so that he wont come back on your property WHILE you have him tied up in your back yard until he is picked up. He is sad and lost and you are horrible! I hope that dog finds a good home.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2010