Sex offenders told to come to the jail for Halloween festivities

I was a little surprised to see a short blurb in the local newspaper here in Ga. Most of the counties have adopted a law stating that registered sex offenders have to come to the jail during the hours of the Halloween festivities (for my town its tonight from 6 to 8 pm). They have to stay there during that time and will be able to go home afterward.
It does not say that they will be locked up, and although I know most parents will feel safer for the kids to trick or treat if the sex offenders are off the street, it just doesn't feel right to me. Any thoughts?

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 5:08 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• To me it's a win, win situation. They are probably having a party or something for the sex offenders. Should a child be molested or abducted there is no better alibi than being at a jail
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 5:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I actually just did a blog piece about checking Megan's Law, and had a commenter show up and complain that NO child EVER got molested on Halloween. (I don't believe that for one minute.) and I just clicked on his profile and found there are a LOT of complaints about how sex offenders are treated.

In some cases, I can see their point...  a 19 year old who dates a willing 16 year old should not be labeled sex offender for life and escorted off to jail for trick or treat. However, a pedophile? absolutely.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Awww...for a moment there I thought it was a "sting" operation to bust those who SHOULD have registered as sex offenders, but haven't "gotten around to doing so!" Kind of like those AWESOME "come on down and claim your free TV/spa treatment for being the "lucky" criminal!"

Still a good idea though!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• If it is a condition of their release/payroll/etc. Good for the communities who have adopted this.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think thats a pretty good idea.... but not fair because some have kids themselves.

The parents will feel a lot better, I think it should just be for pedifiles if anything.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think it sounds great. I know I would feel a lot better letting my kids go out knowing that they won't be knocking on the door of a sex offender. I could go on for days about sex offenders, but I'll just leave it at- What a splendid idea!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• That IS a good idea. A better idea would be to never let them out.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think it is a good idea, it makes me feel better. And if they were worried about being treated fairly they should have considered that before molesting a child. There "debt" to society may be paid, but the debt to the child never will be. (I could rant, but I will not)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Sex offenders should serve their time and then be LEFT THE HELL ALONE. They are no threat to anyone.

Sexual predators and child molesters, on the other hand, shouldn't be running the streets when young kids are at night.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 9:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• A sex offender is no threat to anyone? I would laugh, if it was funny. A rapist doesn't rape because it feels good, you know. A sex offender can't be rehabilitated, therefore, the ARE a threat. The only difference between a 'sex offender' and a 'pedophile' is that a 'pedophile' only goes for kids. A 'sex offender' goes for adults. They are both actually sexual predators.

I, too, agree that a 19 year old dating a willing 16 year old (or something similar) should NOT be labeled a sex offender.

I think this is a great idea. How easy would it be for a predator dressed in a damn costume to grab someone? They couldn't be identified, not if they are in a costume. It's a much better idea for them to be in a confined area. Fair? Was it fair to who ever they raped? Fair to that person's family? No. So is it fair they now have to spend 3 hours on Halloween at the jail house? Sure. Fair enough.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:36 AM on Oct. 31, 2010