Does raspberry leaf tea work for inducing labor?

I have heard you can drink this tea to help induce labor, have any of you tried it? Did it work?

DomsMama07

Asked by DomsMama07 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would do anything to "try" to induce labor. The baby will come when its ready. Walking will help move things along, but the herbal and old wives styles of inducing either dont work or can be dangerous.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• It doesn't induce labor. Nothing actually induces labor. The tea can help soften your cervix or strengthen your placenta. Any other method either softens your cervix or in the case or castor oil, the cramps you get can cause you to contract. Sex can help by semen softening the cervix or orgasm causing a contraction. Walking helps by gravity putting baby in place and perhaps the pressure of baby jump starting things. But, aside from Pitocin, nothing except the hormone released by baby will start labor. It is best to just let nature take it's course. You don't stay pregnant forever.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I've heard that it can, but no, I've never tried it. I've tried sex --that one worked for me, lol. A friend ate taco bell tacos when she wanted to go into labor. But honestly, the best thing to do is let the baby stay where he/she is until he/she says its time. Its not easy being pregnant those last few weeks, I know. Hang in there!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• It is used to help tone the uterus, which may help stimulate contractions that can lead to labor, but it is by no means a form of induction. Just like sex, walking, spicy food, etc, they're all just measures that "encourage" labor, but nothing, even pitocin, is a guarantee.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• It isn't meant to be an inducer, that is a misunderstanding.

RRL is a "uterine tonic" so to speak. It promotes a healthy uterus, not a contraction stimulator.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yes, agree with Doulala!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 10:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• no it does not however if u are trying to induce labor pregnant women are not suppost to get deep tissue foot massages because it will release a hormone that will send them in to labor. also having rough sex at the end of the last trimester can sometimes cause u to go into labor.
    Lil_Lost_Lenore

Answer by Lil_Lost_Lenore at 3:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2011