How do YOU make Tater Tot Casserole?

I have heard so many different variations of Tater Tot Casserole, so I am curious, how do YOU make it? Also, do you cook the meat prior to mixing everything and putting it in the oven (I have yet to make it)?

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 6:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I brown 1 lb. ground meat and put it in a baking dish. Top with 1 quart green beans. Spread one can of cream of mushroom soup over top of the green beans. Top with 1/2 bag tator tots. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Total Time: 30 minutes
    Ingredients:

* 1 pound ground beef
    * 1 16-ounce bag tater tots
    * 1 can cream of mushroom soup
    * 1 can of milk

Preparation:
    Brown the ground beef in a skillet; drain and place in a casserole dish. Place tater tots over meat. Mix can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of milk. Pour this over the tater tots and ground beef. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Oh, I should have said the green beans can be thawed frozen beans or canned. I use home canned beans most of the time.
    michiganmom116

• I do it the second way except I brown my meat with an onion, two stalks of celery 1/2 a bell pepper and bag or can of whichever bag of frozen or canned veggies I have on hand. To season I use onion soup mix and/or garlic and black pepper.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Brown ground beef with chopped garlic and onions, drain. Add a can of drained green beans and shredded cheese. Pour in a casserole dish. Top with frozen tater tots and bake according to tater tot package directions.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Ground beef on the bottom, then onions, then green beans, then cream of mushroom soup, then shredded cheddar, and then tater tots on top so they get nice and brown and crispy.

Nope, I don't cook the ground beef first - it does just fine in the oven all on it's own in the oven. Bake at 350 for an hour.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I made this once. I used the Duggars recipe but we didn't like it
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 7:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yes, cook the meat first - my brother got really sick once after eating some that hadn't been pre-cooked! Anyway, my "recipe":
    Cook 2 lbs ground beef with lots of chopped onions, drain. Mix in 2lbs frozen or 4-5 drained cans green beans (no added sodium) and 2 small cans cream of celery soup. Spread in 9x13 pan. Top with 2.5 lbs tater tots (I buy the 5lb bags and use half per meal). Bake at 425 for about 90 minutes til the tots are getting brown. On occasion, I'll spread 8oz of finely shredded cheese on top of the meat mixture, before adding the tots - but we just don't like it as well that way.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I've got to make this one day.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Tater Tot Casserole

2 lb Ground Chuck
    1 ea Onion, Chopped
    12 oz Sour Cream
    10 3/4 oz Cream of Chicken Soup
    10 3/4 oz Cream of Mushroom Soup
    16 oz Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
    1 lg Bag of Tater Tots

Brown ground chuck and chopped onion; season with salt and pepper.
    Drain.
    Layer other ingredients into baking dish.
    Top with large bag of Tater Tots.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until brown and heated through.
    And I top it with extra cheese
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:24 AM on Oct. 31, 2010