What kind of reasoning could a parent have to abandon the child in his death?

I've been crying all weekend, hearing that one of my sons friends comitted suicide. He was 22years old.
His parents kicked him out of the house while he was in high school. Their religion was extreme, and the boy never fully conformed. But IMHO, he had much potential and was a typical good teen.

My son told me yesterday that mom and stepdad flew across the country to the boys home, collected his personal
objects (of any value) and.....left their sons remains unclaimed with the state.
I cannot fathom ANY reason to leave that child behind and alone!!

My son and many mutual friends hope to start a fundraiser and wait out the timeframe for 'family' to claim his remains to bring him home and celabrate his life together with people that did love him and will miss him.

Would religious people who have strong beliefs in suicide NOT bring their son home and claim him?
:( I personally can't think of any reason to do this!

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 6:20 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• , you don't know the details or what his family, including the deceased, have been through

There is nothing in this world that can put such a wedge between a mother and father and their son.

Answer by older at 9:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I cannot fathom ANY reason to leave that child behind and alone!!

I cannot fathom Any reason for kicking him out either, very sad story, and this is what religious people do? Jesus Christ would be ashamed!

Answer by older at 6:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• How very sad. How wonderful you care about him. HUG to you and your son.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:08 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I thought that only Catholics thought that suicide was unforgivable...

The Catholic Church does not teach the suicide is unforgivable.  Paragraph 2283 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church reads, "We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives."

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 7:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I don't understand it. I'm sorry, I'm glad your there for your son right now.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• im sorry

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I thought that only Catholics thought that suicide was unforgivable, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I'm a fundamentalist, and some would consider me extreme, but there's no way I would allow my son to go unclaimed like that. I would for sure bring him home and give him a proper burial and service. I don't understand any parent that wouldn't do that, no matter what they think the son did to them or their god.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• wow...thats...unspeakable! i dont know what their religion teaches, but it sounds like they have a lot of hate in their hearts to be so distant and angry at their son. i dont think i could ever be mad at my DD that i would kick her out...let alone not be upset at her death.

i guess since he was already dead to them they werent upset when he was actually dead...still its not right!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Adopteeme, this is extremely sad! I cannot think of any logical or rational reason why parents would not want to bring their sons body home for burial. Not only is this their son whom they should love, but burying the dead is one of the Corporal Works of Mercy. So sad. =(
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• In life or in death!