How to deal with lying and hiding school work scores

My best friends son is 9 and keeps getting in trouble. She needs input on how to deal with this other than constant grounding. Help!

VanessaU

Asked by VanessaU at 6:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Tell her to take away EVERYTHING that he enjoys and he can get them back one at a time with good behavior.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• It's obvious the kid needs some help with school work or some guidance. I don't think grounding a child will help them learn better. My kids have done that on several occasions and the only way to address issues like that are to ask them in an understanding way if they really don't understand the material they are learning. Sometimes a child just needs some extra help learning a particular subject and that will make all the difference in how they act and behave once someone is willing to help them through the rough spots.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Get their school identification number and go online and pull their grades up online
    Yvette12363

Answer by Yvette12363 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Many schools now have homework/test scores either on the teacher's website or a parent portal. Check with your child's school.
    lolei

Answer by lolei at 6:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Regarding the hiding school work she needs to have daily communication with his teacher (s). He may be getting into trouble because 1.) he has a learning disability-which means he shutting down because he can't do the work-therefore getting into trouble or 2.) he just doesn't understand his work and too shy to ask for help.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 6:50 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think as far as school work goes I would contact the teacher and see if she can get weekly progress reports. I know a friend did this with her child and it really helped. I also think trying to talk with the child to see what is going on. Instead of yelling and grounding, have a conversation and listen to what they have to say. Maybe they are getting bullied at school or have a problem with something that is going on. I believe in positive reinforcement over always punishing. If you don't give kids a chance then they are going to think "Why should I bother trying because I always get in trouble anyways"

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My son is the "KING" of lying and hiding scores. I now have it sat up where the school send me a copy home in the mail "FIRST".
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Most schools have records of everything online.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I would show up to school and pick him up from the room and ask the teacher for his work. But also look into why he is doing this.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We have powerschool in our school system. All the grades are e-mailed to the parent whether weekly, daily but all the grades and hw assignments are available either on pwer school and now in my son's school website. No excuse or lies....
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2010