how do i get my 3 yr old to stay out of stuff?

she is so sneaky. she was supposed to be playing in her room while i was nursing her baby bro. and i just found out she wasnt. she was in my bathroom picking apart dh deoderant. she is always getting into stuff she's not supposed to be. normally its my own fault, but when i am nursing, there isnt much i can do. i need ideas on how to keep her entertained while i am nursing ds. and no, i dont want her watching tv. it seems she watches too much as is already. plz help.

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 7:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Double up on baby gates, sit her the room with you. Limit her tv. time for ony when you nurse (since you said she already watches too much) Put her at the table with playdough or crayons, thats all I can think of. I know what your going through, I'm nursing my 8 week old ds and I have a 1yr old and 2yr old. My 2yr old does pretty well but my 1yr old like to get into everything. Thankfully my house is baby proof so I dont have to worry and neither can open doors!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Assign her a task during nursing periods, like having a basket of wash rags to fold. Ask her to read to you and the baby while you're nursing. The biggest thing that will help though, is patience and repitition. Remind her to stay in the room with you playing. Each time she stays in sight the full time, praise her. Since she is so curious (and you already know this, but it bears saying anyway) put away anything harmful or precious to you that she can reach. Kids are marvelous houdinis at that age. They never fail to amaze me what they get into. Good luck!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:09 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• baby gate up in her bedroom doorway. Maybe pull a chair into her room and nurse there,or have her play on the livingroom floor while you nurse in there

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Have you tried getting her to "help" you nurse her brother? I know she can't really help. But she could sit with you and maybe you two can read a book while he's nursing. Or play tic tac toe. Or something like that.

Have you thought of using a sling to wear DS while you do stuff -that way he can nurse and you have hands free to do things and won't have to worry about DD getting into stuff then.

That's all I've got. I know it must be tough. When I was BFing, I liked the time with just me and baby. But when you have more than 1, sometimes you're alone time with baby has to be curtailed a bit.

I hope you can get some good answers! I'll be checking back - I'll need ideas too when our 2nd comes along.

Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• You could read to her while you nurse. Or do some imaginary play with her.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• when you figure it out PLEASE tell me. lol. Mine found the big thing of salt, poured it in the hallway and tried to wash it up with water. All of this is the 5 min I was blow drying my hair.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Take her and let her pick out a extra special toy from the toy store to play with while you nursing. Nothing $$$ a special doll or princess coloring book. The only time she can play with it is then. I'm not sure how long you nurse for but you can use a timer and let her know that when the timer goes off she has to put the toy away until next time. Good luck

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i tried a babygate, and she figured out how to climb over it in a day. ds hates slings. tried them... i try to read to her, while i am feeding him, but she wont sit still. i am so frustrated i wanna scream!!! i love her to death, but idk what to do
    Phippsandrea

Comment by Phippsandrea (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2010