If All Gods Are One God And All Goddesses Are One Goddess...

If all gods are actually one god, and if all goddesses are actually one goddess, but worshiped and revered in different forms made up by humans, then why worship the fictitious counterpart rather than the one god and/or one goddess?

I think this is the belief of Soft Polytheists and Duo-theists, right?

Can you help me understand?

Thanks.

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 7:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My personal beliefs based upon the religion that I was raised in and based on studying of other religions.

The many different "Gods" & "Goddess" that exist, are representations/ aspects of the One God. The Hindu pantheon has hundreds upon hundreds of Gods/Goddesses. Each one of these represents an aspect of God or an incarnation/avatar of God. For instance: Krishna is considered to be the Supreme Godhead because he encompasses the most aspects of God in one incarnation. Saraswati represents learning/knowledge/the arts, these are aspects of God that are displayed in his partner/counterpart The Goddess/Saraswati. So, none of the myriad of Gods/Goddesses are fictious they are a part of/aspect of/incarnation of the One God. They all represent some aspect of God. Hindus also believe that God has had many prophets/avatars/incarnations upon this earth throughout the history of man. Many of the pantheon are these as well.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 8:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I'm not a "soft" polytheist, instead I'm actually rather "hard." I do not believe All Gods are One or that All Goddesses are One, but that they are each individual entities birthed in order to serve the place needed by humanity.

That said, I do understand the Soft way of thinking and hopefully can answer your question. The general belief is that The God & Goddess no longer have names which are known by us on earth, through time they were lost, however, each aspect of their personality took on different names in order to honor their place in the relevant religions of the day. In today's Polytheist religions each God/dess is represented by the different aspects of their personality through the names and titles of their individual counter parts. These aren't "factious" names, but titles, taken on by the God/dess as a way to better connect with those who needed them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:06 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Some of us believe that the different aspects of God are intentional - are intended by Him so that people can find a way to relate to Him that works best for them.... ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• What doesn't make sense about the idea that all gods are one God, is that the many different gods all have different characteristics entirely. In fact, they more often than not contradict each other. So how can they all be one in the same.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• If humans have many different aspects, many different sides... Why is it hard to imagine that an entity that is limitless, with no beginning and no end would have a vast amount of aspects/sides/characteristics.. There is no contradiction, but balance. There can not be strength without weakness. There can not be pleasure without pain. Everything has more than one side, one aspect. Even A rose has more than one aspect... it is beautiful, but it can hurt you as well. The entity of all creation, would have to have just as many aspects, as that creator added to it's creations.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 9:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Gal51

Yes, the caste system is inbedded deeply into Hinduism. However. So is giving "alms" to the poor. Giving alms dates back to the Puranas. And many instances of giving alms are listed in the puranas as well as the benefit that is received from doing so. Higher caste do give alms to the poor, it is part of the 5 debts in Hinduism (there are the 4 goals of life and the 5 debts in life).

There are instances dictating the giving of alms in (that I can remember right off the top of my head.. lol) : The Vishnu Puranas, The Agni Purana, The Brahama Puranam , The Aditya Purana... and many more

So yes Hindus, are taught to give to charity just as the Christ taught to give to charity. The Christ was not the first to come of up many of his teachings. Just one in a line of many teaching about God.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Why does my daughter call me "Mama", my husband call me "SweetKate", my mother call me "Kathryn", and the rest of the family call me "Katie"...and everyone else call me "Kate"? Not to mention all the folks I worked with at Camp for so many years who still call me "Smitty". And the fans of mine from when I was on the radio, still think of me as "Katerina~Goddess of Polka"... Why don't they all just call me Kate? That's who I am. That's "ME". Right?

Yes and No. I AM all of the above. Several different persons in one woman. Several different aspects of myself that are all myself. I'm a different person to different people.

So are the Lord and Lady.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I look at it this way. I'm me, right? But my kids call me "Mom", you all call me "Gem", my friends call me something else, and my mom has a name for me that's completely different.

Does any of that change who *I* am? No. But it DOES change the way I interact with and relate to the other person. The name, for me, is a way of focusing on and relating to a particular ASPECT of the One's personality.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Well, in my opinion, no one really knows for a fact which form or way to worship is the "right" way, but then again, I don't think there is a right way to worship God. That's why I don't belong to any particular religion.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I don't know if that makes sense or answers your question, but that's my answer, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2010