If you partake in any Halloween rituals or ceremonies, what are they?

And what do you do?

I don't do anything like that, but I've seen a few people here mention that they do, and I'm really curious about it. :)

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 8:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Heathens don't have any kind of connection to Samhain, but we have a different ritual that comes up around the same time. Winternights is the start of the Great Hunt, and some people combine it into a Halloween-ish sort of thing, just because of the timing. It's really just more of an end of summer/start of winter blot. It was actually last weekend, though (full moon - hence my other question in the other religion section). Some people will celebrate it this weekend instead and combine it with bigger Halloween parties. It's actually more similar to Thanksgiving in terms of its purpose, though.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:06 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Halloween Rituals? Yeah, sure... We get dressed up and Trick or Treat... Beyond that, we decorate and watch scary movies, I don't know if there are any other "Halloween" Rituals...

Samhain Rituals on the other hand will be done tomorrow. I will make a special dinner centered around "Harvest" foods and we will set a place in honor of our ancestors at the table. I also take time with my kids to remember what we've done over the past year and make wishes or resolutions for the coming year. I will then have a small personal ritual after the children go to bed. My rituals include honor of the Crone Goddess & Dying God, remembrance and honor for my Ancestors and Past loved ones, Scrying and a time for "resolutions" and wished for the coming year.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:56 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yes, we are dressing up knocking on neighbors doors and asking for yummy treats.

And carving harmless foods and roasting them with candles
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• yes, i sure do
    i eat lots and lots of candy espaecially chocolate!

but i would love to learn a spell or two
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• We are dressing like crazed ghouls, passing out copious amounts of sugar to strangers, mutilating the harvest bounty and of course being beggars for our own copious amounts of sugar.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• No, not unless pumpkin carving and trick or treating with the kiddo counts. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• We will be doing a trunk or treat celebration this year(we do trick or treating but not this year). We watch spooky movies and the Charlie Brown special.

We also celebrate Samhain by having a mute dinner and honoring our ancestors(we do fall harvest foods for that). We will do that tonight as we will be gone most of tomorrow evening.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• yes, i sure do
    i eat lots and lots of candy espaecially chocolate!"

Lol! Well, in that case, I take part in one too! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I'm sorry, I guess I should have out Samhain, I knew that's what some celebrated, I just wasn't thinking. That's what I meant, as I knew it was celebrated on the same day.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• ummm... I buy lots of candy and hope that we don't get too many trick-or-treaters so that I won't have to share, but that's about it.
    VeggieMuslima

Answer by VeggieMuslima at 1:54 AM on Oct. 31, 2010