Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What's higher than a sheriff?

My daughter ran away and a drug informant is harboring her. The sheriff isn't doing anything about it. I even heard that they were at the same house my daughter was hiding for a different case when one of the son's spoke up and said Sarah was hiding in a back room and the sheriff said he wasn't there for that case. I'm just flabbergasted!!!!! What do I do now?

Answer Question

Asked by kristinas8 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Level 8 (235 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • maybe a MArshall? but theyre federal. ... a magistrate could help! go down to your local jail and speak to the magistrate -- they can get the cops moving!!! they are liek a state watchdog clerkish type of governing person of the cops

    Answer by silverelf at 8:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • I think a state trooper. Although I do believe if they are 16 or older (may be younger not sure though) then their isnt anything they can do. Not quite sure though

    Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • She's only 13.

    Comment by kristinas8 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • Call CPS and see if there is anything they can do. I'm not really sure who is higher than a sherriff, but I would keep after them until something was done.

    Answer by scout_mom at 8:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • If she's only 13, your local police are responsible for helping you. Stay in their faces until they do something. Don't take no for an answer. 


    Answer by earlgrey at 8:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • I don't think anyone is. My uncle is the under sheriff here, and he only has one person above him. Unless you count elected officials. I think you might have to contact the state agency for help if the sheriff is hiding her.

    Answer by corbysmom531 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • keep after them! If need be, call the new media in your area and tell them your story..i am sure once they start getting a bunch of negative publicity they will change their tune quickly.

    Answer by LadySaphira at 8:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • call your local district attorney, your govenor and senator and complain. also i agree with cps. There really isn't anyone higher then sheriff as far as law enforcement..except if you consider fbi.

    But in most cases the sheriff is an elected official so call and complain..get the news involved if you need to.

    good luck

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • Lieutenant? Chief of police?

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

  • In that particular case - the Sheriff IS the highest authority that you will deal with UNLESS it is in a city limit and then it would be the city police.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:24 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.