2yr old still with soft mushy bms normal or not?

my two year old bms are still mushy and soft... i breast feed him till he was 6wks and bottle feed him till he was 10 months... he has never had a solid bm and i know there are kids his age that they are having solid bms.. so i am wondering is this normal or should i get it checked out.. it dont seem to bug him but it bugs me..

Levink_08

Asked by Levink_08 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hi. you need to feed him, ready? whole or half-wheat bread, cheerios (honey nut are ok), oatmeal, bananas, and vegetables liek spinach, carrots and apples. all these bind the stool and make it gel/shape and pass easily. no, that isnt so great. also, make your milk 2% you can do this now as he is 2. also reduce ANY fats and sweets anywhere, and i betcha thinsg will be much more solid if u knwo what i mean lol
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My DD's aren't very solid either. Every once and a while we will get one but for the most part it's just like you described. I BF till she was 13 months so I don't think that is the problem.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 8:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Silverelf I've tried most of them. It may help but my DD doesn't eat high fatty foods, doesn't drink milk at all, eats at least two bananas a day, and she gets an apple probably every other day.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 8:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I also wanted to say though that when she actually poops in the potty it doesn't seem to be as loose. I think the underwear/pull-up makes it look like loose bowel movements.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 8:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i forgot to mentions apples and much other fruit makes him poop himself up to his neck
    Levink_08

Comment by Levink_08 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• he may be allergic to something, such AS wheat, milk or gluten perhaps -- try a gluten free diet? any other problems or pains he has? it all could be related. so now i say give him a lot of water and keep him hydrated to dilute any toxins. hm... ask a doctor too of course. look on web md maybe.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• my son is 2 and still has mushy BMs all the time.. he does have some normal
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 9:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• what helped my son was probiotics. he gets a strong probiotic everyday. but he had diarrhea all the time....it was really terrible. i also found out that he cannot eat grapes, raisins, or anything with grape juice in it. if he even has a small amount of grape product he will get the runs again and tummy cramps, etc. what i would suggest is for you to really restrict his diet (plain rice, plain toast, no dairy,no fruits, no juices, no sweets or fried food) in other words, as if he is sick. start the probiotic and then stick to the plain diet for 3 days. by that time his bowels should have firmed up. once they have,you start introducing one 'new' food and see how he reacts to it. he might be sensitive to dairy or fruits.....introducing the foods one at a time will help you pinpoint the problem. you introduce the new foods for 2 or 3 days before going on to the next one. this is how our ped. told us to try and it worked!

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My DD will be 3 in Dec. and has never had a solid poop. Her ped. doesn't seem concerned. I have brought it up several times.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I hope it's normal. Sometimes my 2 yr old DS has mushy poop, and sometimes it's more formed. If he eats a lot of fruit or vegetables it tends to be mushy. If he eats a lot of bread, bananas, and other binding foods it's more formed. If he eats way too much binding foods, he may get slightly constipated for a day or two. Trying to keep a good balance in his diet is challenging since he's picky, but we try. I'm assuming it's normal unless he's seems to have some kind of gastro-intestinal distress along with it or if it's very loose and frequent, then I might think he's sick or sensitive to a particular food.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2010