My long term family doctor turns me away once pregnant because...

I'm in my 30's and a first time mother that suffers from anxiety which he has treated.
I have no other health issues except,born with one kidney which has and is very healthy,exercise,eat right.
However,feels these two factors(age/anxiety) "MAY" complicate the pregnancy so,now i'm out of any care,was given no notice to start finding anyone.
How is that healthy ?
I checked around and nobody is taking on new patients,even with a referral,so any suggestions ?
My insurance only will cover,regardless of circumstances a doctor no other treating physician.
I can't believe this can happen...
So,much for doing right for my health,if it can't be honored by those that took an oath.
Oh,he knew months ago i was trying so why not say anything then ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• The same thing happened to me recently,i'm sorry you have had this happen to you & wish you the best !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• go to your local health department. They will see you regardless.

I can kinda see why he would think high risk though especially with 1 working kidney
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• That was not his concern he feels older woman can have bad pregnancies and he does not want the liabilites,yet i know many other young mothers that can have health issues,or those with two kidneys that may get health issues,i feel he based it off discrimination since he had no high risk concerns,just my age and past anxiety,his words i thought he had faith that his treatment helped but guess not,i feel used for the money i gave to him to help..it's just rude !
    it's up to me to find someone he will give a referral but will not help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• To the one poster,why would he decide to abandon his responsibilites,without notice even,he was her treating doctor.
    Also she has no kidney problems just born with one verses two which can work as normal as anyones,that does not make her high risk.
    It is clear it was based off her age and past anxiety since that is what she said was his reason.
    I wish you the best to an unfair situation,that hope clear up soon.
    I feel sorry for anyone that invests in that doctor since he seems not confident in his decisions.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• can that really happen?? A dr refuse you especially knowing your history?!?? that sounds like discrimination. i would take it to the health board and if they wont do anything, sue...and then make it public. thats rediculous!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Yes,it can happen doctors can refuse treatment,despite referrals,medical conditions.
    They can limit how many patients they want to have,the hours they will be seen even if they are working under a specific hospital that hired them,not thier own practice & when you complain,the hospital backs them up due to liabilities and "we would not of hired them if we felt they were not good,but sorry you felt harmed."
    Care has become political not about the patients.
    Now you get turned down over age vesus illness,did not know age was a sickness that best be practiced by a specialist.
    The doctor just put her life on the health chopping block from something that bothers him now that she is carrying the unborn versus,when it was her back and he was aware which is worse for his actions.
    .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Cont~

Young people can be just as sick or have age related problems as someone who is older,i feel that excuse is just wrong.
    Also,i know people that have one kidney that are living life wihout any problems except just having one kidney versus someone with two and they are sick.
    This birth condition does not make her high risk unless she was getting treatment for it or something which she has never needed.
    I feel the doctor needs to tell he more,or face bigger charges later
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I have one functioning kidney. (I was born with a non-functional one and it was removed when I was 12.) I was considered high-risk because being pregnant puts additional stress on your kidney(s). I saw an OB while I was pregnant who was an expert in high risk pregnancies. You should probably do the same. I ended up having a completely healthy pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I had my kidney checked out and all came back very normal,i did this before getting pregnant i was told my one kidney is as healthy on all levels as someone with two,so as with any pregnancy all should be normal ,unless a problem arises.
    My issue high risk or not you do not turn a patient away from the best interests to thier health over issues that you have been treating all along especailly,until they have another care provider.
    Anonymous