Potty training: taking them to potty regularly vs. letting them tell you when they need to go.

For a couple of weeks now I have been taking my almost 3-year-old son to the potty regularly, and he will usually pee (though sometimes he'll sit and say that pee-pee isn't ready). But when I ask him if he has to go, he just says no, or if I tell him to let me know when he needs to go, he'll just say OK but then that's it. He's maybe told me he actually had to go just a couple of times in the last two weeks. He'll have accidents if he's too busy playing or watching TV. I'm just wondering what else I should do to help him pay attention to his body if he needs to pee or poop. (Poop is whole other monster for us. In 2 weeks he's had just 1 successful poop in the potty; the rest he just poops in his undies - or on the floor if he's running around the house naked.)

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 10:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I was potty training my son, I would ask him constantly and take him regularly. I had him in underwear at the time and was paranoid about him having to go but not telling me. I didn't trust that he could pay attention to his body all the time so I was just a constant reminder to him. He would always tell me that he didn't have to go when I asked so I just started taking him every 30 minutes for the first few days. Then increased it to 60 minutes for a few days, then 90 minutes. I think asking him if he had to go all the time made him aware of his potty needs and eventually he would start telling me he had to go. It took a few weeks but he was potty trained for day and night by the time he was 2-1/2.

http://howdidibecomemymother.blogspot.com
    NoJo

Answer by NoJo at 10:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Try another method of potty training .My mother potty trained my neice by the age of 1.I knw they say girls learn faster than the boys but im going to try this w/my son ,she sd that every time she usd the rest room she took my niece w/her & after my mother finished using the rr she would sit my niece down to use the rr as well. yea its kinda gross to take them in there w/us but im willing to try.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• NoJo your method is way better than my mothers, i think i will be trying that lol.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Have you tried the 3 Day Method? It encourages kids to tell you when they need to go, and it's also about YOU learning THEIR signals (because they won't always vocalize it in the beginning). It worked for us in a day and a half!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I loved the 3 day method.. we did it that way just by accident.. no really!
    DD pp'ed in her panties so i let her run around naked for a while.. (we kept her potty chair in the living room).. about 15min with no panties on i hear "I*DID*IT!" ...... Did what?! .... Looked in her potty & wow! She had peed all by herself!
    For the next 3 days she ran around the house with ONLY nightgowns on (diaper went on for sleeping only)... On the 5th day i took her out shopping and by the 6th day she was 99% potty trained (about 1 accident a month).. and I would say in less than a month she even lost the diapers at night!! :)
    She was a few months past 2yo.
    I think if we would have used this sooner she would have been PT'ed sooner.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 31, 2010