What would you do?

If you were at a dinner party with young kids, and some people started smoking pot in the back room? The hosts included, who are awesome parents, and you're surprised to see them doing this.

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 10:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• leave that really is the last thing i would want my child to be around in the first place... and even if some say drinking is just as back well guess what a child can't inhale drinks unless given to them and smoking can... and if your going to be smoking up then don't have it to where kids are invited... a little respect i'd say... but i would make it clear nicely that you know it's just time for me to head out but i did have a good time over all.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 10:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Uh, tough. I'd continue the evening by not drawing attention to the activity and then leave when the time was right. I'd also confess that I didn't smoke dope in front of kids or I'd avoid going to someone's house where it may happen.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i'd get up and leave...even though it's in the other room, it still in the same house, you can still smell it and get the "second hand smoke" not that the kids would get high or anything from it but still, it is disrespectful and if the cops came, they may just take your kids bc you were there with the dopers with your kids
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• if you dont agree leave.......but i you are aware that they smoke you either deal with it or leave because you are in that persons home
    redmisses

Answer by redmisses at 10:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I agree with jeanclaudia's answer :)
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 10:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• im sorry i speak my mind but i would have to say something when they was doing it maybe not to them but i would for sure get my kids and tell them lets go i think they would get the hint to me that is just disrepectful and weather it be there house or not ur are the guessed and they should not do things like that around company but thats just me
    tgandkgmommy

Answer by tgandkgmommy at 10:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think I would call the cops and tell them what's going on. They are putting so much in danger by doing that. And they are not "awesome" parents if they are doing this.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• This actually happened to us once. We were at a friends house and her boyfriend out of the blue asked my husband to smoke pot. He told the guy he was nuts and we left right then and there. There is no way he is going to expose his kids to that. Ever hear of guilty by association? Lets say these people were already under investigation from CPS, they happen to come in that night, well we are there endangering our children too. Its just not a safe situation to be in. That's not even considering the health effects of secondhand smoke or anything. It is an illegal activity and having your children around those activities is not right. If you care about the welfare of your children and your family, then you should remove yourself from the situation immediately. They can do what they want, but you do whats best for you. It would be a shame to get your kids removed bc you didnt want to offend the pot smokers.

v8v

Answer by v8v at 2:54 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I'd have no problem with them smoking pot...but, at a dinner party with kids present(back room or not)? Nah, I'm gonna pass on that. I'd take my kid(s) & leave. I'd tell them after the fact that I have no problem with it & I'm not mad at them but, I'd make it clear I don't want my kids walking in on that or smelling it on them when they came back.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 9:57 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• This happened to me once. I immediately got my kids in the car and went home.
    Mom2Girls83

Answer by Mom2Girls83 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2010