What method do you use to get someone to listen to you?

Sometimes we've found methods to speak with people. For example. I learned when someone is mad/upset/yelling, to turn the right side of my body back a half of a step. It seems to give them an opening and not feel defensive as if you are in their space. I did this with a police officer who was having a bad day. His whole attitude changed. Try it. Let me know what your results are... What do you do?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 10:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• If someone is yelling at me, I speak quietly. Most the time the person will quiet down so they can hear you. Remaining calm is key.
    kansasmom1978

Answer by kansasmom1978 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Hmmm. Interesting. I rarely chat with the cops but I'll try it next time I'm arrested!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I get angry to fast , idk what is wrong with me. I sense an attitude and instantly get one...
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 10:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• well i myself can get a bad temper and if someone starts yelling at me the first thing that comes to my mind is how bad i want to sock them in the face or slap them up side there head... but that would also be the reason why i walk about and take a breather to... but i would let others know that i just need a minute to cool off couse in best cases that is the wises thing to do so i don't lose my cool... and also is it even worth the fight.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 10:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I have a facial expression I make and a respectful tone I get that calms people down. I nod my head and say things like Its Friday who can be mad today or tilt my head to the side and smile slightly or tell a quick story and the person responds and feels better.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Stand in front of the tv and block the screen usually works.......... LOL
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 11:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I was talking to the police officer because I had to do a report on the local crime rate. The police officer didn't want to be bothered. Nor did they want the public knowing they weren't doing their job. Stepped on some toes that day! I like you pray I am never arrested! LOL

Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 6:04 AM on Oct. 31, 2010