how do you put your kid to sleep>??

i was told this was "wrong" to do. our daughter is 22 months old. a hr before bed time she gets her bath, sometiems ill rock her or just hang out in our bed and i read her one of her books (she loves her books) then she says goodnight to daddy and i lay her down in her bed, i give her a sippy cup with some milk in it and she drinks it laying in her crib watching her monkeys(music thing on the side of the bed) and falls asleep by herself. i go back in before i go to bed and pick up the sippy cup and cover her back up (she kicks them off) but i was told giveing her a sippy cup to go to sleep with is wrong? its not a bottle btw, she's been off those since 12 months. its a step 4 sippy cup. thoughts?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 1:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they say it's bad for the teeth. If you brush your kid's teeth regularly it shouldn't be a problem, I don't think. I used to just give my son a cup of warm milk before I put him to bed... have you tried that? It settled his tummy without filling him up too much and he slept just fine. As long as you're not adding like chocolate or strawberry syrup or powder, I don't think it's that bad. I personally never did that though.
    olifloresdiana

Answer by olifloresdiana at 1:51 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• oh no i dont give her lots of sugar and she's very good about letting me brush her teeth. she has her own toothbrush that is pretty cute looking and gets excited when she see's it lol.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:52 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• The only thing would be the milk...milk, juice, any thing that is NOT water is bad, because it can rot the teeth. (At least that is MY understanding)

When my kids where younger I did the sippy cup thing BUT WITH WATER and water ONLY...
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:57 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• lol, that's cute! Mine do that too, they go "yay, tooth brush!" in their cute little toddler voice of course. Well, if you regularly brush her teeth, especially in the morning, I really don't think you should worry about what other people say. If you're taking it away after she falls asleep, that means it's not in her mouth all night so the teeth won't grow in crooked.
    olifloresdiana

Answer by olifloresdiana at 1:58 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I agree with the moms above,the only thing I saw that was wrong was milk. Instead I would try water in the sippy cup. As stated above milk will rot her teeth.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 2:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My mom did this with my brother. Even though she brushed his teeth very often, he has so many problems. It made us all so sad to see him go through it! The milk will puddle in his cheeks, under his tongue, and around his gums as he fell asleep. Maybe switch to water?
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Yes I agree, no milk before bed unless you give the milk, then brush teeth. If she wants the cup in her crib you could try camomile tea. It helps you relax.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 8:17 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Maybe give her water or slowly water down whatever drink is in that bedtime sippy. You could even switch to a sugar free drink if you wanted too. Good brushing in the PM and then in the AM she should be fine. No worries.
    mamma2bubba

Answer by mamma2bubba at 9:03 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I don't think it's the sippy cup that's bad. It's the milk sitting on the teeth all night. Most experts recommend water before bed. OR give her the milk then brush her teeth then go to bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Yeah, the milk is bad for her teeth. Give her water if she must have something before bed. It might not be a problem not but it will be. My kids only get water at night...ever since they got off the bottle right after turning 1 (and I was a bad mom and let them have a bottle at night because I was just exhausted all the time but it stopped as soon as they were one).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:57 AM on Oct. 31, 2008