what is the Holy Spirit anyway?

father, son, get both of these
but Holy Spirit??

please explain for me, I really do not know (I should, but I do not)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Triune God. The Spirit is not necessarily the active force of God - the Father himself is an active force. The Spirit is an intercessor between man and God - He brings understanding of God's Word to man; comfort, regeneration, enlightenment and so on. When God's children pray, the Holy Spirit takes the prayers to the Father and will even correct wrong things prayed for.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We were taught that the idea of the Three part God was not biblical, but was actually a Pagan belief. As a Pagan today, I can tell you that in fact it is a common belief among common day Pagans and predates Christianity by nearly 2000 years in some cultures.

If you Google "Origins of Trinity" or similar terms you can find lists of articles written on the subject by numerous Christian groups... But we grew up JW.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Anyone who believes the Holy Spirit is feminine obviously ignores that the NT refers to the Holy Spirit as "He."

The Holy Spirit is called an Advocate, He dwells in us and teaches us (John 14:15-29), He guides us and gives us His fruits (Gal 5:16-26), He helps us proclaim the Gospel (Acts 2:2-4), and is a gift from God that comes to us in Baptism (Acts 2:38), and He is a sign of Gods love (Rom 5:5).

The Holy Spirit is a person, not a 'force' for a force cannot speak, guide or be an advocate, and is the 3rd person of the Holy Trinity. The JWs and LDS have a very different view of the HS, a view that is contrary to 2,000 years of Christian teaching.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 6:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Also, John 16 refers to the Holy Spirit as a "he" 10 times.

And the Holy Spirit can: be lied to (Acts 5:3), speak (Acts 10:19-20), hear (John 16:13-15), know the future (Acts 21:11), testify (John 15:26), reprove (John 16:8-11), pray and intercede (Rom. 8:26), guide (John 16:13), call (Acts 13:2), be grieved (Eph. 4:30), feel hurt (Is. 63:10), be outraged (Heb. 10:29), desire (Gal. 5:17) and be blasphemed (Mark 3:29). Only a person is capable of these.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 7:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The Trinity is not at all an un-Christian belief. While the word "Trinity" does not appear in the Bible, there are many references in the OT and NT about Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I can't say I understand the Holy Trinity either. That's one of those things I hope to understand when I get to heaven. I just have to take it by faith. I've heard people say that the Holy Spirit is the love coming from Father and Son, but I'm not sure that's the best explanation. That one doesn't quite make sense to me. One God, three persons is what I was taught.

If the ancient religions have parallels to Christian beliefs, I look to what Paul says in the Book of Romans. He says basically that God has placed some of the truth in every man's heart. Genesis talks of God's promise to crush Satan's head. I think there may have been more of God's promise that was given to Adam and Eve, then passed down orally.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:56 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The Holy Spirit is God's active force. It is what he uses to accomplish his purpose and executes his will. It is not a person like most people think so when we pray for His Holy Spirit we are praying for a force that will help us accomplish whatever we need help with.
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Also, if you are Catholic, the Holy Spirit comes to us in Baptism, then again in Confirmation. The HS changes the bread and wine into the Body and Blood during Mass and strengthens a person against anxiety during the Anointing of the Sick.

I really didn't know a whole lot about the HS until I was a first grade Sunday School teacher. I know I was not catechized properly. It seems many other post-Vatican 2 were not either. Do you ever visit catholic.com? You can find a wealth of information there. Also, if you don't get EWTN radio in your area, you can listen to http://avemariaradio.net/catholic-online-radio.php live!  Catholic radio is a real treasure!

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 7:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Oh, I forgot to say that when I was a first grade Sunday School teacher I had an entire unit (5 chapters!) on the actions of the Holy Spirit! I felt unqualified to teach it because it seemed foreign to me, but pre-reading the chapters made me realize how much the HS means to the Church. At the end of each chapter I had 3 kids write one action of the HS each on a piece of construction paper either shaped like a flame or a dove and stick it on the bulletin board. At the end of the unit we had put 15 actions on the bulletin board! One day the Director of Religious Education walked by my classroom and saw, and said, "if the Bishop would just see this he'd realize that even first graders can understand the HS and he'd move Confirmation back to the 2nd grade instead of junior high."
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 7:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I was always taught that the Holy Spirit was like God's "Force" his Working Energy... Of course I was also taught the Trinity is unChristian... So I guess your answer would depend on how you view God altogether...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I was raised Catholic, so I really should know this, but I just do not get it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2010