How to deal with sis-in-law that is a self proclaimed parenting expert??

What do you say to the sis-in-law that knows it all because she has one "perfect" child older than yours??? (and better behaved than yours, developmentally ahead of yours, socially ahead of yours, yada yada yada)
I may go crazy.

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 12:16 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I thankfully don't speak to my SIL... But if this kind of thing was happening with anyone I knew, it would be very simple for me - When they start to babble on about their perfection or what I should be doing, I would clearly stop her in mid sentence and explain in no uncertain terms that MY child is MY child, not hers, and if she is such a perfect parent, maybe she should simply focus on her own parenting and not worry about mine.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:37 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I'll raise you one sil that tries to tell you how to do everything when she has 3 kids that either don't live with her or are out of control (one got kicked out of school for making out with his girlfriend in the hall and another just got suspended for headbutting a fire truck during a fire drill) but still thinks she knows better than me.

I went off on her over the summer.  Even her ex (the father of her 2 younger boys) was like WTF is your problem?  He told her off, too because she kept saying how their one son is like this and that and he's like, "how would you know, he lives with me!"  I love her but she drives me nuts.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I would clap and say how special for you .
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Ignore it. That is what I do when people tell me my husband and I should have another child.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Smile and nod, but don't say anything, just "Mmmmm" lose her gaze and when she finish act like you're not paying attention - and when she says something about the fact that you're not pay attention to her say "oh yeah yeah I ah heard every word."

Want me to video the attitude for you? I look a wreck but it would be fun!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 12:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Just like mom2just1 said ignore her that should should help her get the picture faster .
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 11:57 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yikes! That is reason #3214 why I live 2500 miles from family
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I would take her advice. If her kid really is better behaved, etc, that is. My SIL is the same way, however, she has NO kids.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 3:03 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• In mid-sentence, interrupt and change the subject. Eventually she'll get the idea. Or just nod, and don't say a word. Then talk about something else. My sister had three boys, close together. They were a handful, to say the least. A few years later I had a boy who was just a quiet, well-behaved child I never really thought it was my parenting style). Then 8 years later, I had a little hellion. I went to visit my sister. And before we could get unpacked, the little one was inside her kitchen cabinets, throwing the pots and pans out into the kitchen. She said she was so glad he was born because otherwise, I would have gone through life thinking I was the world's greatest mom! We have laughed many times over that. We never felt the need to tell the other how to raise the children.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:12 PM on Oct. 31, 2010