Do you think our "System" sets people up to fail?

Many minor criminals end up in prison sharing a cell or at least in the same block as more "hard core" criminals... Upon their release from prison they are simply dropped off at a bus stop or allowed to walk out the front door with no help to reintegrate in to society.

We keep telling people "If you want to get straight and change, you can" then even when they try to do just that, we shoot them down every chance we get. Even McDonald's requires a clean criminal history now... How are these people supposed to get clean and turn around if they can't even land a real job? It's no wonder so many go right back to crime...

What do you think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well...how did they get in jail in the first place? Probably because their parents failed them and they refused to get an education and they took the easy way out instead of working,they commited a crime. Innocent people in jail have my sympathy ...but not criminals. Blame their parents and their bad attitudes.It is not the system ....
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Prisoners often say I do not go to prison to be rehabilitated but to be reeducated. If they were not commiitting crimes they would not have to worry about this????????????
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My question isn't saying they shouldn't have been there in the first place - Chances are they should. BUT, my question is what happens when they actually DO want to change? I mean, if they are getting out of prison they are no longer in prison, and so they should at least have the option to go straight and change... Now, SOME have the option to live on someone's couch or go back to their wife or something... But the majority are just put right back on the street with their old buddies and old way of life being the only way they have to survive... How are criminals supposed to NOT go back to that way of life if they aren't given other options?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Most states have prisons set up to house different levels of criminals. When they are released, most are set up in housing. Often motels with several months paid and there are many programs to assist them in getting work. And kerpilu, it isn't always the fault of parents.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Also, many become institutionalized after approx five years. They re perp to go back because they no longer have the capacity to live on the outside. They are afraid.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My BIL just got out of two years in prison. He did have a couch to sleep on, but the govt paid for him to get an education to get a job, and when the first training didn't look like it would work, they were going to pay again. He is now an over the road truck driver making good money and straight. So there are programs to help criminals, I don't know exactly how they went about it, but they paid out thousands of dollars for him to do this...and the company guaranteed to find him a job even with a terrible history. So they are not completely deserted. I am not saying I agree with this one way or another, because I'm sure it was taxpayer money, but he would not have found employment otherwise.

BandME

Answer by BandME at 12:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Their "parents" failed them? Seriously... My grandma raised two women, my mother and me. My mother has committed a plethora of crimes ranging from prostitution to assault and back again...and I am a good, contributing member of society, with my sole run in with the law being a ticket for out of date inspection... it expired the month my grandfather died and I'd forgotten about it.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

Which is really my point exactly... If that's not a system failure, I don't know what is...

And yeah, seriously... People make their own choices in life, parents are rarely more than a small fraction of why someone makes the choice to commit a crime worthy of prison...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• kerp, are you the lady that verbally assaulted me one day for disciplining my son in the commissary when he pushed my friends son down? (after all 3 of my kids had been misbehaving through the entire store). I mean, I was only disciplining him, not beating him, you know, so he didn't think he could just go around doing whatever the hell he wanted! I only ask this since you want to blame all criminal activity on PARENTS. Geez. Are all of your kids, like, perfect little angels?

I thought there were programs to reintegrate inmates when they were to be let out. Oh man, I'm sure one or more of those words is not PC. Oh well. Don't they have access to therapists, even schooling? Halfway houses? It would be my guess that it's just not taken advantage of as much as it should be. Then maybe there wouldn't be such a high rate of repeaters?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Many of the murderers they lock them up with started on a path just like the minor offenders. Maybe sharing a room with one might be a good rock bottom reality check. I don't think the system fails. The people who make bad choices fail and blame the system so they don't have to be accountable. I am not however saying the system is perfect. Here's a thought.....self accountability, not mommy and daddy, not school, not others.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 31, 2010