how do i get my son to stop telling me no?

he says no to everything!

MotoChick44

Asked by MotoChick44 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 1: ignore him. 2: time out for every time he says it 3: dont say it. I know I say it all the time and I'm just waiting for the day my 17month old says it ;/ Its such a complicated thing, but they do grow out of it; our 7yr old did ;)
    trijobaby

Answer by trijobaby at 11:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• thanks...i need all the help i can get.
    MotoChick44

Comment by MotoChick44 (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• ask yourself how many times you say no to him. Our children repeat what they hear, I went through the same thing with my daughter. What we eventually started doing was telling her no in different ways. For instance, say your son is reaching onto the counter for something...instead of saying "no" you would say "we don't reach on the count (his name), we could hurt ourselves on accident" or some such thing. Try to explain why he can't do things instead of just keeping him from doing it.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• yeah i do say no alot but i will try that sounds like a great alternative
    MotoChick44

Comment by MotoChick44 (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My son says no A LOT too, so it's probably normal for certain age groups. I try to change up the words I use and that helps some. In addition to no, I also use words like stop, danger, careful, hot, etc and I try to give directions to DO something (rather than NOT do something) when I can. I find he's better with a positive direction (ex. sit down on the couch) rather than negative (ex. don't stand on the couch). I don't know if it's just my kid or if that's something that might help too. Sometimes I try to give him choices between a couple things, so I can find ways to say yes more often. There are days I've felt like the NO police, and when I find we're having a day like that I try to take another approach to things. If he doesn't follow directions or continues a bad behavior (like throwing or hitting), then he gets time outs.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• thanks! :)
    MotoChick44

Comment by MotoChick44 (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Oct. 31, 2010