Why do they feel the need to break your bag of waters?

I know it's to speed to process of labor along, but it just comes with more complications, and it seems like more often than not, the BOW is broken by a medical professional rather than letting it happen naturally or not at all. Just doesn't make much sense to me. JMO.

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 12:02 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Statistically it speeds labor about one contraction.
    Not worth the risks!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:37 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• With my first they broke my water early and the pain got really intense really fast. The second and third times I told them I wanted them to not break the water until the end. I had no serious pain with my second baby, pitocin induced labor, until they broke the water. Then it got intense and he was born within the hour. Third time, she broke my water when his head was fully engaged and only a time bit of water came out. She was actually trying to push him back in to let the water out. Nope... came fully out in one push. Poor midwife got completely soaked.

If we have anymore, I will not let break the water at all.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:07 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I had it done all four times and never had any complications.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It is completely not evidence based. There is no need for it
    I have no idea why OB's THINK this is a good idea?!?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:11 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Well... If dr.s can do it & speed up delivery time (time they have to be there) and woman let them.. they will do it.. period..

If a study did ever come out that said it COULD be dangerous another study would come out & say "sometimes its medically needed"... and then mothers would fear NOT getting their bag broke, cause drs would say it IS medically needed... I mean most get induced, cause our dr.s say its medically needed... they can be pushy with pain meds, cause it shuts up us.. and so on & forth..

Most of what they do is for themself or for the hospital. Not for you. Not for your baby.. :-/
    Woman CAN BIRTH! :-)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• oh easy: convenience.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:34 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Had mine broke with my daughter, no complications.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Well if you don't want the doctor to, tell him so.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• They broke my water on my first one with no complications, on my second one my x-husband broke it when he asaulted me with lots of problems and on my third one I stood up and my water broke on its own and I didn't have any complications with that one either.
    yomomma1A

Answer by yomomma1A at 12:26 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

****************

That's the point. The woman can always say that they don't the BOW broken. No one forces us into anything. And most of the time, inductions ARE medically necessary. Ask your doctor why, and if you are unsure, do your research and/or get a second opinion. I think we women need to stop blaming the medical profession for problems with our labors, and instead get educated on our bodies and our rights as patients. Otherwise give birth at home. Then you have no one to blame!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2010