OMGOSH these fits are gonna drive me CRAZY!

I feel like I am doing everything wrong that causes my son to throw huge fits all day long! I just feel like giving up sometimes! Took my son to our churches fall festival tonight and I did not enjoy one minute of it from all the fits he threw! I was ready to go home the min we walked in! What on earth am I doing wrong!?!

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:19 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am so sorry :) We've had nights like these. Maybe he was tired? All i can add is consistency and schedules tend to help kids know what is coming next, but at something big and overwhelming like a fall festival, there may be things he wants to go while you want to go in another direction. You went for him to have fun- was he allowed to kind of roam around and explore? Sorry hun tomorrow is a new day.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:23 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• thanks...yes he was allowed to do whatever he wanted...but he kept pushing other kids to get to what he wanted and didn't like correction of course. Everytime I had to tell him he needed to wait it was a big throw myself in the floor kind of fit. :/ He was tired, and there was a LOT going on...so prob two and two didn't help with anything. :/ Hoping next year is better
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 3:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Keep his day as simple as possible. Tell him beforehand when you will be going to the store, leaving a friend's house, etc. Keep directions simple and direct. Make sure he has one on one time with you and your SO. Praise him when he does things right and tons of hugs and kisses. Lots of times they go for the negative attention when they don't get enough positive attention.

Don't give in to any temper tantrums. My son stopped his when I started to ignore them. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:28 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My son has a lot of meltdowns when he's tired, hungry, or if I try to fit too many things into one day. I usually try to tell him what to expect for the day, like today we're going to Target and then to story time at the library. If I only talk about story time, he might have a meltdown when he didn't expect to stop at the store first. No matter what I do to prepare for meltdowns, there are still bad days sometimes though, especially if he's tired or not feeling 100%. My son was really tired on an outing one day and he kept having meltdowns on and off so we left, but then he still said he had fun and talked about the place the whole time when we got home. LOL It's gotten a little better as he's been able to tell me what's wrong more often, but I think it's just a normal phase. Hope it gets better soon!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2010