Do you think this is cruel and unusual treatment?

A woman very close to me was recently arrested She was choked by her SO When they came to arrest him he said SHE attacked HIM and although the had bashed his fist all through the walls in a rage, she was arrested on this abusers word

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It has become a risky thing to involve the law in Demestic Violence issues. They will now take anyones word and arrest anyone, and let the judge figure it out. Woman who are being abused often times get no help whatsoever from the police. If you mom needs help handling this man, or getting and EPO, or even someone to talk to about it, she needs to contact your local Women's Crisis Center. They are very helpful and will lead her through the whole process, and help her made a safety plan.

As far as the jail being cold, I doubt she can do anything legally about that. You are right it shouldn't be that way, but you can't fight that.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• CONTINUED
    When she got to the precinct she was so afraid to go into a cell with criminals she lied and said she was suicidal She was made to strip down entirely which is understandable But the AC in the cell was so very cold that she estimated it to be about 35 degrees She was given a paper thin gown which she was told rips very easily and she would not be receiving another, and it was a stainless steel cell She was so cold that she could not stop her body from shaking all night In an impossible attempt to warm herself she tried to position her body and with every move the gown ripped in the end exposing her breasts and pubic area completely She politely asked the officers to please lower the ac or allow her to warm up, but they ignored her.She said that she did not know how long she could remain concious under those conditions but did I'm so outraged and do not know what to do
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Well first of all doing anything, you shouldnt unfrotunately it is not your place to do something. She sounds a bit dramatic to me. She could have also been shivering from fright of the situation and where she was.

It's not illegal to have the ac at a certain level. She chose to "say" she was suicidal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I am very close to this woman and I do not believe she was over reacting at all. If I thought that I wouldnt be upset.I didnt say it was illegal for an ac to be on but to be so cold that in outdoor weather a person would need a jacket and she is in a paper gown?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Sure she can go complain or something, but they probably won't do anything.
    If someone is suicidal I could see why they dont want them in regular clothes, what if they start strangling them selves in it? paper gown will rip just like she said it did. They probably have a reason for everything they do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• she needs to get a lawyer
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:04 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Why would they arrest her for him beating her? She had to have had some kind of marks on her from her SO choking her
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• she needs to lawyer up and get her psycho s/o.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 2:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• pnwmom....she was able to get out of the motel room and run to a 7-11. The reason she didnt go to the office was because she was afraid he would see her and attack her again. The police didnt seem to understand this. They also didnt go into the room and see the holes in the wall, which is where he got his his marks on his hands that he said she gave him....I really didnt want to say.... but she is my mother. I have never seen my mom so shaken up over how she was treated in custody. I'm not saying I am going to "do" something but there has to be some kind of law against a woman being in such a cold room for so many hours....I completely understand them taking away her clothes though
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• That is just awful. Now on further investigation the police or rather detectives should see those marks on his hands from hitting a wall. She has to get a protective order against him ASAP. She needs to get to a womens shelter and let them help her. They can get her help with a restraining order as well as get the case straightened back up. The shelter is a good place to start. I hope this helps
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:09 AM on Oct. 31, 2008