If you love Jesus.

I just got a thought & HAD to ask!
Alot of very faithful Christians say they love Jesus. Some would even say Jesus comes first.... Right?
Well...
Dont people only love Jesus because its the way into Heaven?

Soo isnt loving Jesus because he is "the way into heaven" kinda like loving a rich old man because he is the way into riches?

You really dont love Jesus for Jesus.. You love him because what he can do for you -- get you into Heaven...

Kinda like that one friend/boyfriend you once had who bought you alot of things. It wasnt him you loved but what he did for you..

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Nah... I love Jesus because He was there when nobody wasn't. I love Jesus because when everybody stomped, trampled, kicked, and spat on my heart, He picked it up took it for himself and gave me a new one :-)
    mz_erica03

Answer by mz_erica03 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Not for what I can get from him, but for what he gave for me. God gave his only son for us. God is love, and he loves us. I always remember the births of my children. Humans like me and my husband who mess up and just try to get by- could never have created these babies. They are miracles! from God.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:42 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I love Jesus because He first loved me.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• You are probably right that some people feel that way. And probably everybody feels that way when they first come to the Lord. However, I think once they have spent time with Him, they come to love Him for who he is.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I love Jesus because of what He DID for me not so I can go to Heaven but what HE DID.. He DIED for me, He gave His precious life up for me so I no longer have to walk in the OT covenant law anymore! I can now live in New Covenant Grace as a New Creation ! Hallelujah!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It is absolutely impossible to TRULY love the Lord for what He has done or will do for us.The love a Christian feels for the Lord is implanted into the heart by God Himself. The human heart is incapable of truly loving anyone. We can not truly love Him without Him first giving that love to us!

1 John 4:19 is a very deep verse. On the surface it can be taken to mean, "I love Jesus because He died for me, sustains me, provides for me....", but what it is really saying is, " I love Him because He gave me the power, strength and desire to love Him. My only part was acceptance and surrender." If it were otherwise we could brag about our love for Him as though we have done something great. We have only done what He has made possible for anyone to do--chose Him. He has provided all--the love, the faith, the grace, the sacrifice.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 1:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Love is a relationship between two people who spend a lot of time together
    witchqueen

I enjoy spending time with Jesus; I can't get enough time with Him. While I may not know what he looks like exactly (although my guess would be that he looks like an ethnic Jew), I do know and hear His voice.

You do not believe because you are not part of my flock. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.
    (John 10:26-28 ESV)
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• AMEN!!!, Shaneagle777! Yep! Yep!

OP, Heaven has nothing to do with my love for my Savior.

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:16 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• If you don't get it, I don't really think there is a way to explain it to you. How sad to live such a cynical life.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:12 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I don't just love Jesus for what He can do for me. I love Him for what He HAS done for me! It's a love much deeper than what I can "get" from Him. I can't describe it,and as someone else said, if you don't get it, there's no way to explain it to a cynic. Jesus gave me life, then He gave me life everlasting. He saved my life,then He saved my soul. He never leaves me, never forsakes me, is always glad to see me, wants to have a relationship with me, gives me unending love, undeserved forgiveness,and unbounded grace. These aren't things I "get" by loving Him, He freely gives them, even if I didn't love Him. Jesus is everything to me, and I am nothing without Him.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 7:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2010