My 3 month old doesn't poop regularly..what's wrong?

My 3 month old only poos once a week today is day 9 since he pooped last.When he does poop it is soft but there is TONS of GAS and DISCOMFORT in between and he is breastfed only.

colorpurple4

Asked by colorpurple4 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• LLLI - The First Six Weeks

Most babies, after the first few days, have two to five bowel movements every 24 hours, until they are about six weeks old. The stools should be as large as a US quarter to "count" in this number. Some babies will have more frequent bowel movements, and it is possible for a healthy baby to have fewer bowel movements. If a baby younger than six weeks has fewer than two bowel movements a day, that can still be a variation of normal provided that the baby has an adequate number of wet diapers, is known to be gaining weight at an adequate rate, and the stools produced are substantial in volume.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 1:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It is normal to have a few days between poops, I'm not sure where 9 days factors into this.. Have you spoken with a lactation Counselor?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:13 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• As long as the bowel movements are normal, it is probably not that big of a deal. Usually if not having a bowel movement is unusual for your baby the pediatrician would like to check him out on day 5 to make sure he's ok and there isn't an obstruction. At that point they can instruct you on whether the issue can be waited out and treated with water or juices, or if something like a glycerine suppository would be recommended.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:27 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• You should make a appt with ur pediatrition. i hoe it gets better so sorry to hear that.
    valeriesmom16

Answer by valeriesmom16 at 1:57 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My DD goes every other day(she is 4 1/2 months).And most pediatricians don't get concerned till the LO hasn't had a bowl movement for 2 weeks or so or when they do it's dry,painful etc.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I was always concerned about my son. He's poop when he was a newborn once every 6-7 days. I thought we'd have to get a suppository to help him have a bowel movement. My doctor actually told me it's okay if they go 10 days without pooping, but after that you should be concerned. Try gas drops if he's gassy & to help him have bowel movements I was always told to do a suppository on you baby or even massage above the butt crack about an inch or so & that should help them! Good Luck!
    bestmommy2010

Answer by bestmommy2010 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2010