What is a better way to put a two year old to bed?

My son is two and a half and it is really hard to put him to bed. Usually my husband puts him in his stroller and walks around downtown until he falls asleep. This has several problems:

1. It takes about two hours.
2. It is starting to rain some nights.
3.We don't live in the best neighborhood and there is an alley that is a rather well known place to get a hooker about 10 minutes from where we live.
4.It is freezing!

I just don't know what else to do. We just moved and he seems stressed out and keeps asking us to take him home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep telling him he is home. When we move, or I switch bedrooms I would let my daughter help decorate it. She chooses the posters, placements, and she gets to have a board for her pictures she makes. Shes five now, its really helped in the last few years. To help her relax before bed she gets a bubblebath soak, stories are read while shes in the tub. Snack after tub, and we talk about her day. Lotion, cuddle (timer set!) , prayers, lights out - night light put on, then leave the room. When we started doing that, after a few weeks bedtimes got so easy! Now that shes five all I have to do is tell her to go to bed, talk, prayers and lights and shes asleep, unless she chooses to play : )
    Good luck!
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 1:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• You've got to stop the stroller routine.

He sounds like he is experiencing stress from the move. But he needs to get used to his new bedroom. He has to learn to fall asleep in his room, not in a stroller. Perhaps you could allow him to sleep in your bedroom for a while, until he starts feeling more comfortable in his new environment?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I would agree you need to stop the stroller! He needs to learn NOW to lay in bed and put himself to sleep... Otherwise you're going to set him up for issues later... Create a routing... Let him help you make his bed up for bed, get him changed, brush teeth, wash face, go potty... All that fun stuff... Then lay him in his bed, explain to him that you aren't going anywhere but that he has to lay down without you. Read him a story, turn off the lights and sit NEXT TO the bed... If you need to pat his butt or sing him a song - that's okay too... But don't let him get out of bed. It's going to take a long time to get this down, but after a few weeks it will become standard and it will get easier!

Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:24 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I developed a night time routine with my kids. Dinnertime, some tv time, (my guys used to watch The Rug Rats). bath time, story time, brush teeth time and then the grand finale of bedtime. Its so much easier for all of you to sleepdevelop a nightly routine. Good luck

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We just try to stick to a routine so he can get used to sleeping on his own. After dinner, it's bathtime, pajamas, brush teeth, read a couple books and then we put him in bed with his favorite stuffed animal. Most of the time he will settle on his own--sometimes it takes a while and he'll just talk or sing until he goes to sleep. Other times he calls out for us, so we go in for a minute to comfort him and then tuck him back in again, say goodnight and leave again, and we just keep doing that until he finally settles on his own. It's hard at first, but it gets better. If he's teething or doesn't feel well, I tend to spend more time in there comforting him, but most nights he goes to sleep on his own within a reasonable amount of time. It's also easier if we don't let him get overly tired. If he's really tired, it's harder for him to settle down. If we get him to bed at just the right time, he'll go to sleep quickly.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• try a car ride
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 1:20 AM on Oct. 31, 2010