I want to possibly use the name lorelei but i hate the nick name laurie, do u think theres a chance no one would call her that?

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 1:38 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Baby Names

• maybe if u spelled it loralei, and called her lora, it would catch on.
    hotrockermama

Answer by hotrockermama at 1:40 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I LOVE Gilmore Girls, the moms Name is Lorelei, and she named her daughter Lorelei also, but calls her Rory. I really like that nickname and thats what we call my friends daughter who is named Aurora
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:20 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• good luck with that...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:39 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I've never heard of that nickname for Lorelei. Rory and Lola are the two most common, IMO. If you don't want a nickname, then only use the full name and most will respect that. If you don't mind a nickname, then pick one you like better and use it. '
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:50 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I have only heard of Rory being used as the nickname for Lorelei.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:53 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My youngest is Lorelei and no one calls her Lori or Laura. I hate both names. We usually call her Lorelei, sometimes Lola, sometimes Ella (her middle name is Isabella). I've never had to tell anyone more than once not to call her anything but the names I like.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 2:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I would be more likely to call a Lorelei Laura... but more as just a shortening of the name. I personally wouldn't call anyone by a nickname unless they asked me to.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:43 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• If someone does, just correct them politely but quickly! My 6 year old son has went by his shortened name for 4 years now, cause he shares the same name as his father... but to this day the in-laws still call our son by his given name, gets on my nerves, but when they do...like ''How is (sons given name shared by husband) liking homeschooling?'' I just tell them that husband is fine with it. then they will correct themselves and ask about son with his shortened name. They hate when I do that to them, but thats the only way I can get them to use sons shortened name!
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I honestly don't know anyone named Lorelei, but Laurie isn't the first nickname that comes to mind when I hear it. As a matter of fact, no nicknames come to mind. lol.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I've never heard of Rory or Lola for Lorelei, those seem weird to me but I quess that's just because I haven't known someone who went by that, and I never knew there were other nicknames. My aunt is named Lorelei and goes by Lori.
    RJsMom116

Answer by RJsMom116 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 31, 2010