Is having contractions & not going into labor normal in a regular pregnancy

I would feel 1 big huge ass kick out of nowhere & then a few more but I dont go into labor.Is this normal?

My_Darling_Luna

Asked by My_Darling_Luna at 2:19 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• You feel a big kick or a contraction? They are not the same. It is totally normal to have bouts of contractions weeks before actually going into active labor. It is your body preparing for the birth. You should only worry if you have been having contractions regularly that are 3-5 minutes apart for at least an hour. And that is if you are well hydrated. Sometimes you can have false labor contractions if you are dehydrated. Also walk through the contractions or lay on your left side (i think its the left) and if you still are having contractions then you might be going into labor. If they stop, they are probably just more braxton hicks (or prep contractions)
    v8v

Answer by v8v at 2:37 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I was having contractions for a few days before I went into active labor where i was actually admitted...i was having contractions that would range from 10mins to 3mins...then they started getting consistent then they started getting more intense. Hope this helps you
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 2:41 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Contractions are normal to have during the last trimester of pregnancy. Kicks are also normal. They are strong little kiddos!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The kicking is normal. My first one would kick me sometimes so hard and stretch out her legs that she almost broke a couple of ribs! She did fracture them. The contractions that you are talking about are most likely Braxton Hicks. They can feel like real labor pains but they just don't get you in labor. The first time I had them, I called my doctor and I was told to time them for an hour or so and if they stayed steady and got closer together, then I was probably in labor, if not, it was Braxton Hicks. Good Luck!
    yomomma1A

Answer by yomomma1A at 4:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Thanks you all.I was just really worried.When I was pregnant with Luna,that didn't happen.
    My_Darling_Luna

Comment by My_Darling_Luna (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Contractions can happen all through pregnancy and prodromal labor is a part of the end where you contract for weeks.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:25 AM on Nov. 1, 2010