what do you think of Extreme Home Makeover?

They just wrapped the 2nd EHM in 2 yrs within 15 min. from my house. This one has caused quite a lot of backlash though. The family has 6 kids, mom is a teacher, dad owns a tree business. The home was pretty big, had some mold issues but they are in a flood zone. They also had another building on the property that was a wrestling gym. The 2 sons go to one of the most expensive private schools in the city. Around 20k for both. The last makeover people were thrilled for the family. This time, most are pretty pissed. The dad has a hernia he can't pay to fix. They have neglected their home and health for private school and wrestling. Most episodes I've seen the homes are neglected due to poverty from a sick child and medical bills or something. I doubt they will mention the private school when the show airs. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That's wrong on so many levels!! I agree with you OP--of ALL the hardworking families struggling right now in this crappy economy and dealing with historically high unemployment (which will continue to worsen), the show's producers were only able to find a family that is typical of the people who caused much of this crisis--living well beyond their means, haivng more children than they can afford, all while trying to keep up with the Joneses, and not having any "rainy day funds" when things don't go according to plan???

I'm surprised they were even selected! This would be a "jump the shark" moment if ever I saw one!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I love the show, but i had never seen undeserving families get it, and this is what this one looks to me.

Answer by older at 8:57 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I don't think about it much. I don't watch it.

I have heard about families that have had their homes made over and their taxes increase so much that they couldn't afford the house any longer. It's a nice idea, but instead of creating a lavish home that the owners can't afford to keep maybe they should look at the home owner's financial bottom line and build something accordingly so that they can life comfortably with the blessings they receive.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:19 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Sorry, that should read *live* not life.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:20 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I have watched a few and they were very heartwarming. I am not going to judge them.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Good point Quinn. Very good.
    kerp1960

This ^^. Quite often, the home is unfinished and the families are left with just as big a mess as they had before, it's just a prettier and more expensive mess. There was one episode that had a bunch of kids, and they redid a bathroom with 7 sinks, one for each girl. They ran out of time and none of the plumbing in that bathroom was actually hooked up, it was just staged for the show. To make that room usable, the family had to pay on their own for a plumber to do all the custom work to accommodate 7 sinks draining (basically, they had to pay for commercial-grade materials and work out of their own pocket). A lot of the other shows run the same way. The show leases the property for the time they work on it, and once the lease is up, all unfinished work is the responsibility of the homeowner.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:59 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Don't the participants have some financial/tax repercussions as well-beyond ^ property taxes?

I have not watched this show of recent.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• that is kinda F'ed up
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 10:46 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• We pretty much stopped watching it after the one where they had a mold problem and so they just sectioned off that part of the house and then lived in the rest of it, but then complained about all the medical bills they were racking up because they were sick from living in the house. I don't care if we would end up living in our truck, but there is no way in hell my kids are going to stay in a house that is making them sick. No f'ing way. It seems like more and more, they've started helping the people who make for good TV ratings instead of those who really need it.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2010