How do you get 1-2 yr. old to stop biting?

Does anyone have any suggestions to stop biting in children? I have an in home daycare, and one of my kids loves to gives kisses. Well the problem is, he doesn't know how to keep his little fangs out of the way. It's all done in love, but he doesn't understand the removing the teeth from a sweet kiss to the other children. I need a home remedy that works! Does anyone know if the sour or hot sauce on the tongue works, or do you have a better idea? Thanks so much for your time, have a blessed day!

tinanichols

Asked by tinanichols at 5:05 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not sure how to get someone elses kid to stop biting, but when my 1 daughter used to bite me and laugh when I would tell her not to do that, that it hurt, I used to bite her back. Not hard enough to leave teeth marks but hard enough for her to feel that it didn't feel good and she didn't bit anymore. The only suggestion I can give you is to tell that kids parents what is happening and see if they can help to get it to stop or just not let them give kisses anymore.
    yomomma1A

Answer by yomomma1A at 5:17 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Thanks, I've told the mom about it, and she knows it's getting serious. He's bitten one little girl in my daycare twice on the cheek trying to give her kisses, while she was asleep. It left a purplish mark on her, poor baby! Another today, I had a little boy here for our Spooktacular Glow in the Dark Pajama Party, and the other child came in, parent and grandma here for 5 minutes dropping him off, he leaned over and bit him on the cheek. Just a couple days before he bit the same little boy on the other side of his cheek. Luckily no bruises, but deep teethmarks. We enforce daily that we don't want his kisses, just his hugs. Any suggestions? Does the hot/sour thing work to let him know it's naughty? He's been leaving some big impressions on the kids, the little girl, her mom was threatening a lawsuit against the mom. She later dropped it all, calmed down, and understands it's a growing up work in progress.
    tinanichols

Comment by tinanichols (original poster) at 5:32 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• i would seriously consider telling the mother that she needs to fix the problem or you cannot watch her child anymore. clearly he can hurt the other children, and he might not know that it is wrong, you know? i would not think it would be my place (if i was in your shoes) to take it into my hands and bite him back, because thats not my child. now, i did cure my son of biting by biting him back. my mom did the same thing to me and i cant stand biting to this day! im not scarred from it; i dont remember my mother biting me, i just know that i dont like biting. but like i said, unless the mother ok's it and says you can bite him when he bites the other kids, then i would tell her she needs to fix the problem. good luck!
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 8:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Thanks sweetie! She gave me full authorization to do whatever is necessary to help her correct this problem, she's afraid I'm going to drop her child if he continues. Of course I can't allow it at this pace for too much longer. The biting back method that I've researched has a lot of pro's and cons to it, and can backfire to having the child bite the parent or guardian, and then all control of correcting is lost, and even worse. I'm really curious if the hot sauce/sour works, I've known friends in the past use it, and was successful. I know he loves sour, so spicy is the next option followed by time outs. When he gets frustrated, he bites his own arm, we're still disciplining him the same so he'll know it's naughty. After the time out, we talk, give a hug, talk about no kisses, and continue with our day. The mom tried the hot over the weekend, he bit his older sister, and worked. Possible plan B method!
    tinanichols

Comment by tinanichols (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Nov. 2, 2010