Brown bagging the kids lunches. I need some suggestions on hot lunch ideas instead of cold sandwiches all the time.

I was on here the other day and someone had asked if moms sent hot lunches with their kids to school or cold sandwiches. I had never thought of sending hot lunches and I'm wanting to. I just don't have alot of ideas. Do you send hot lunches to school with the kiddos? If so what can I send? Any suggestions and/or tips? I'm going to the grocery store today so I was wanting to get some hot lunch stuff as well as the regular lunch items. Thanks in advance.

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 6:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Soup, beef stew, beanie wienies (hot dogs cut up in baked beans). Lots of leftovers from dinner can be heated up and sent. Like spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, casseroles. There are some great, small, thermos containers with a wide mouth. If you can't find them in the grocery, look at the hardware store. I run the tap until water is hot, then fill the thermos, close it and let it sit while I heat up the food in the microwave. Then dump the hot water and fill the thermos. This will prevent the cold thermos from instantly cooling the hot food. My kids loved taking something hot. I think the smell of it sharpens their appetite, too.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:14 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• This is a really useful site about hot lunches you can put in a thermos, lots of ideas there. Hope it helps
    http://www.suite101.com/content/hot-packed-lunch-ideas-a145864
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:16 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My mom used to cook hotdogs, hamburgers chicken nugetts and wrap in foil, they would still be warm enough by lunch.
    momoftatertots

Answer by momoftatertots at 7:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Great question, that's a great idea! I only know of using a thermos - I think I might try this, too.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 7:42 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Invest in a good thermos your options broaden.Pasta,Soup,hot dogs,etc and it's still warm at lunchtime.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 7:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• This is a great question my DD was just saying she is getting a little tired of sandwiches and we tried making a homemade lunchable but she wasn't thrilled so I hope I can get some good ideas from this. Next stop thermos shopping :)
    Mudfishzgirl

Answer by Mudfishzgirl at 11:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Usually leftovers or pasta and steamed veggies with some kind of sauce (peanut, marinara or cheese)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2010