How to get a 4 year old to change her sleep habits!

My 4 year old granddaughter lives with me and I can not get her to go to bed at a decent hour. Right now it is 3a.m. and she is up going strong. I don't let her take naps anymore. It is really hard to get her up before 10a.m. because she stays up so late. I like to stay up alittle later at night after everyone else goes to bed to have MY TIME but lately, I have to share that time with her!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Start waking her up consistently at a reasonable time in the morning - 7am? At a reasonable bedtime (in my house that would be 7-7:30 for a 4 year old), put her in her room and tell her to stay there. If she doesn't, each time you march her back into her room without talking to her. Make it very boring and matter of fact. Try a sticker chart where if she stays in her room for X number of nights she gets a prize.
    If you don't start getting her to bed/getting her up earlier she's going to have a very hard time next year when she goes to school!

Answer by missanc at 8:05 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I agree with missanc in that you need to decide on her bedtime and take her back to the bed. Calmly and with no talking after telling her it's time for bed. You can sit on the floor of her bedroom and have your back to the bed. Each time she gets up you gently put her back in the bed. It might take several nights. Do the same thing if you decide to sit in another room during this time.
    Start bedtime about 12 hours after she got up in the morning. Have a set routine which could be a bath, reading books, cuddling. Make it clear this is the new bedtime routine. And the rewards might help too. It can be a prize or a day trip to a free attraction like a park, etc. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:52 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My 4 year old daughter was like that too.So I'd give her her favorite chocolate milk,and then put her to sleep.She'd fall asleep quickly!Keep doing that & she will get into the habit by herself.Hope this helps!
    My_Darling_Luna

Answer by My_Darling_Luna at 9:28 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Enforce a strict bedtime routine. Every night after supper, bath, book, brush teeth, tuck in, lights out. Every single night, no exceptions. My daughter used to lay awake for hours, then would sleep for two or three, then back up for 3 or 4. After we started this routine, she goes to sleep within 15 minutes of lights out. You may have to sit in the room with her the first few times, but eventually she will get it. Hang in there and I hope it works for you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:58 AM on Nov. 1, 2010