When will my Toddler be ready for preschool?

Is preschool expensive? and at what age does it start? My daughter is a September baby, so does that mean if she's not a certain age by August, that she has to wait a whole year before she can get into it?

RoguesMommy

Asked by RoguesMommy at 2:26 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• many public schools offer a preschool program so it should be free. They usually enroll at the age of 4 and make sure she's potty trained if she's not already. Some schools differ but yes, if she's not 4 (or whatever age requirement the state has) by August, she can't enroll. That's just the way it is.
    olifloresdiana

Answer by olifloresdiana at 2:38 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• wow that sucks. my daughter is a september baby too...i was wondering the same thing cause my daughter loves interacting with other kids. its so cute/ =D
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 2:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Here in KY, they have to be the required age by Oct 1st. Check with your local Board of Education.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:56 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Where I live they have to be 3 by Aug 31st and potty trained. All preschools are different and vary in price.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 8:05 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My son has a sept b-day too. I think I will send him to preschool when he is 1st eligible, but I'm not sure about kindergarten. You have to consider if the are academically ready, and if they are socially and emotionally ready. When you get to kindergarten sometimes the preschool teacher has a better idea since they see them at school.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• It varies from kid to kid and it is NOT age based.
    I know kids my daughter's age (27 months) who are ready for preschool now. They will sit quietly during circle time and follow along in group activities. My daughter is very physical and is still mastering this. She may be ready for a few hours of preschool in the spring or she may not, I'll just wait and see.

Cost varies too.
    Partly it depends on your location. Some states and cities are much more expensive.
    Partly it depends on if you qualify for HeadStart. If you do, there are some good preschools for little to no money. I don't qualify.
    Partly it depends on if you want to do a co-op preschool or not. Co-op preschools (where you help out in the school a few days a month) are usually much cheaper.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 31, 2008