my 13 month is not walking or pulling up yet, im worried. anyone else have any ideas to help him?

C.Lewis

Asked by C.Lewis at 8:48 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you talked to the pediatrician about this issue? Normally they should walking around that age? But hes trying to but just cant? Maybe he need physical therapy. Some kids have weak muscles and nee physical therapy.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 9:09 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• sorry didnt mean to pu that question mark after age.
    And of course I meant to write "need physical therapy"
    sorry its too early haven't slept long :-)
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 9:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I work at a daycare in a toddler room & believe it or not there was a kid at 15 months still not walking. Once he came into my room he was better. He's a very slow walker & he's almost 2 and is JUST now learning how to sit in a chair & get out of one all by himself. Some kids take longer than others to do things! I'd talk to your doctor about it to see if they're any tricks. Once your 13 month old does try walking/taking steps & such make it a BIG deal! That'll help them get excited and want to do it again! :)
    bestmommy2010

Answer by bestmommy2010 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The average age is 12 months.. That of course means many kids walk before and after that age to get the 12 month average.. On that note, it is still normal if a child is not walking yet. My middle DD had no interest in walking or standing up until she hit 15 months..

With that said, has your child hit all other milestones, does he/she have any delays other than walking? If all else is expected and age appropriate, I really think he/she just needs more time.. Of course you can bring this up to your ped to ease your mind.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:30 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My DS just starting walking and he will 17 months on the 17th...When they are ready they are ready...I would ask about the pulling up and see what your pedi has to say.
    becbec71705

Answer by becbec71705 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Do you try to motivate him to walk by holding both his hands and helping? Or perhaps try a walker?
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 3:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My son walked at 14 months. The normal range is 9-18 months. After 18 months...they get concerned.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The pulling up thing might be an issue you should ask the dr about .. But the not walking part isn't anything to get upset about!
    BShip2010

Answer by BShip2010 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My daughter didn't walk until she was 18 months. She didn't want to do it until she was good and ready. She started standing up on her own, then just took off one day and hasn't stopped since. We tried push toys, and she would stand up and hold onto them, but she didn't really take steps. All kids are different. I wouldn't worry.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2010