My freaking cat...

Ever since they day I brought my cay home back in April 09 he CRIES and meows all freaking night! I took him to the vet right after I got him to see if he was crying like that becasue of an injury or illness, they said he was perfectly normal. I passed it off for quite some time that he was just adjusting to being in a new home with a new mommy (me) and stuff. Well here we are more than a year later and he is still doing it! It wakes up me, my husband and our 14 months old DD. He has always loved that little girl, and she loves him to, so there is no real "power" sruggle, he was fine when I brought her home from the hospitol. I just dont know how to get him to stop! Ive tried squirting him with water, keeping him awake as much as possible during the day, beating his butt when he cries... nothing works... I need some Ideas. I LOVE this cat and will not give him up, but he driving me crazy. BTW he is neuterd and STRICTLY indoor

SierraLynn

Asked by SierraLynn at 8:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Pets

• Our cats won't leave us alone if they don't have any food in their bowls so we now feed them at night to ensure that they don't run out and bug us at night. Was your cat an outdoor cat before living with you? Once a cat gets used to being outside, even for just a little bit, they can drive you crazy wanting to get out, especially at night. Can you shut him up at night in a bathroom with a kitty bed, food and litter box? Good luck:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:05 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My cat gets like that sometimes. He's sixteen now so his hell-raising days are mostly over, but he still gets in his moods. I make sure that he has food and clean water, and sometimes letting him in my room to be with me helps. If none of that works, I just try really hard to ignore him.
    VeggieMuslima

Answer by VeggieMuslima at 1:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• My cat is the same, and I was so ready to take him back to the shelter. He's just overly social, and talks ALL THE TIME. I started letting him outside and he's done MUCH better. Even declawed cats are fine outside, they can still climb trees despite what people say. Might start by just taking him out for a few minutes at a time, if you can, put him on a leash. Not to "leash train" him necessarily, but to keep him within reach if he tries to dart off and hide somewhere.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I have a cat that does the same thing. She never stops crying. Thank god she like to go outside
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Goober has never been outside. A girl that worked at the shelter I got him was a friend of his first owners and confirmed it for me. They were military and had to move and didnt want to move with pets, they gave up him, and a dag that never came indoors. He seems scared of outside.... But he always has food, he will NEVER drink water from a bowl, so we have to keep the toilet open and clean (weird cat) which we always make sure it is for him, and the only door that is closed is our baby;s door... I just dont know what to do. We mostly igmorehim, but it sill goes on and on... I need to fine a cat pyschic! Ha!
    SierraLynn

Comment by SierraLynn (original poster) at 7:49 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My cat does this too. He wants attention (mine does). He is letting us know that he needs food or water...in the middle of the night. He demands to be fed promptly at 6:30 am and will screech his head off every morning at 6:30 on the dot if you aren't already up and moving. He also starts in again at 8 pm.
    The way that I have found to keep him quiet for most of the night (until 6:30 am) is to put him up in the bed with me to snuggle.
    Good luck!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Do you know for sure he does it only at night? If you're all gone during the day, he may be doing it then as well.

I suggest getting another cat for him to hang out with - another neutered male is your best bet of them bonding quickly. Our most social cat gets really meow-y if there are no other cats living in the house - he just wanders from room to room, meowing and meowing. Another cat will help keep yours healthy too, as they will play fight together and keep each other in shape which is especially important for indoor cats.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 1:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2010