So, the Rally to Restore Sanity was all in "fun?"

Really?! Then WHY was singer/songwriter Cat Stevens INVITED to SPEAK at the rally?!

I'm sure those of you who were in attendance, or WISHED you could have been there are fully aware that Cat Stevens is a CONVERT to Islam and is now known as YUSUF ISLAM, and in 1989 was accused of endorsing the fatwah (assassination) of Salman Rusdie author of "The Satanic Verses" because Stevens/Islam BELIEVED Rusdie was describing him and mocking Islam!

So THIS is what 100's of thousands of people "celebrate" these days? This is "sanity?" Maybe I'm just "paranoid" (LOL) but I seriously fear for this country more and more everyday!

Read more here (with video goodness)
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyharnden/100061519/yusuf-islam-aka-cat-stephens-accused-of-backing-salman-rusdie-fatwah-appears-at-rally-to-restore-sanity/

AND

here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens%27_comments_about_Salman_Rushdie

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 8:52 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yesterday I said I thought the rally being on Comedy Central made it a joke and kepiegertielu admonished me and told me to watch CNN. That made it valid! This whole thing is to give a "poke" to the Tea Party and the repubs. They are mocking the rallies. I also said that I didn't need to watch the "rally" as I had been to 9-12-09 and 8-28-10. I was accused of not appreciating the "differences" in people (like all of us at these rallies are exactly the same) and being competitive. I think it is the dems, progressives, and the socialist are the competitive ones as they felt they had to mock the true emotions of the people who have been to the Tea Party rallies.

I'm not surprised at all. I think I would be more surprised if it hadn't been a "joke" or a parity.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Actually. she's got a point. Every independent analysis of the attendance put his number below 100,000. 97,000 is the high end, but most others put it in the middle 80,000. It's only Beck and his cronies who have turned it into an epic event with a half million people in attendance.
    But that's really neither here nor there. The point it that Yusef Islam was NOT invited to speak. He was invited to sing Peace Train, a beautiful, meaningful song.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:34 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Are you suprised?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:28 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• This is so funny. You people are just pissed that a quarter of a million people showed up to see *gasp* the liberal elitist jew, and not even 100,000 showed up for Beck's dumbass.
    Spira

Answer by Spira at 10:16 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Oh--before I'm lulled to sleep again by this sort of post, I need to point out to all of you who are unfamiliar with Jon Stewart and the Daily Show that they do not support NAMBLA. Stewart makes jabs at it frequently on his show. It's a running joke that disparages the organization.

Stevens recanted the comments he made about Rushdie, too, in 2000.  You really need to keep up with the times.  You get all over those of us who are still angry with Bush for destroying our country, who left office less than two years ago, yet continue to bring up what is relatively ancient history.  Do try to keep current, please. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:28 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• So, a man who endorsed the fatwa on Salman Rushdie was invited to perform/speak/attend in honor of a rally for SANITY? Quite interesting... The joke continues to get funnier...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• the liberal elitist jew, and not even 100,000 showed up for Beck's dumbass.

Just remember, spira, you called Stewart ^ that and not the conservatives on here. Plus, I was at Beck's dumbass rally on 8-28. You don't know what you are talking about. If you dare, look at the pictures. I was in the meadow on the left of the screen, about middle way and about middle in. There were way more than 100,000. Saying it wasn't so doesn't make it not so. At least be able to accept truth went it is presented. The National Park Service took the picture, by the way.

http://www.therightscoop.com/photos-glenn-becks-restoring-honor-rally

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Really?! Then WHY was singer/songwriter Cat Stevens INVITED to SPEAK at the rally?!

He sang and YES, at an entertainment rally a singer song writer was invited to SING A SONG...sounds like entertainment,,,,,What is your issue, that he is a Muslim now? Because you listed that first

Why did Beck say his WANS'T about politic yet invited POLITICIANS to speak?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Oh. Another pissy-whiny post that distorts the facts.  What a surprise. 

Wake me up when there's something original on here. 

Yawn. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2010