How can I get more Milk? adult content

I'm a mother of a 30 weeker, she was born 10/19 of this year. I'm breastfeeding of course pumping but the doctor is now giving her 13 cc and she feeds every 3 hours and my milk isn't coming in fast enough. I don't want to supplement her with formula only brestmilk. Does anyone have any suggestions??????

Mz.K82

Asked by Mz.K82 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I always ate a bowl of oatmeal about an hour before pumping. there are herbs to take that will increase supply - maybe someone else can give you the name of it. There's also mother's milk tea. But oatmeal worked great for me!

It can take up to a week for milk to come in. So be patient! And the best way to increase supply is to put baby to breast. I know that's probably not encouraged right now - but if they can suckle, and the doctor allows it, I'd nurse them!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 9:04 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Please join the breast feeding group.

Breast milk is digested much faster than formula. The frequency of the feedings should be increased, not the amount of milk. The stomach can only hold 2 oz.

Proximity to your baby is the thing that boosts production. Can you hold her more? Can you directly feed? The baby can get the milk out much better and faster than the pump. Can you pump in the same room with your baby? That will help your let down.

Request to work with the lactation specialist at the hospital.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:19 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Does your doctor have any suggestions? Can he refer you to a lactation specialist? My son was born premie and I was in the same situation but I gave up.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Some woman just can supply all the breast mil that baby needs and you need to give additional supplements.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 9:02 AM on Oct. 31, 2010