what can you do to produce milk, my supply has twindled to almost nothing, and i'm eating alot, but still can't seem to build enough for my son?

my name is tamara, i have a month and half old son, that eats alot, but my milk supply has twindled to like nothing, how can i make more? i have nbeen eating more, and still nothing. am i doing something wrong? i have been stressed alot, will that make me not produce/ i am really worried, i really want to breastfeed him as long as i can, but it seems like i just can't, i was doing good for the first month, now all of a sudden there is nothing.. please help

crazymammma

Asked by crazymammma at 9:07 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you drinking enough liquids? That's very important. Also, find ways to alleviate your stress. Do something restful, like taking a bubble bath, reading a book by an author you like, veg out on the couch and watch old romantic movies, talk to a friend about whatever is bothering you. It will get better.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• What makes you think your suply is low.
    If your baby is having 6-8 wet diapers he's getting plenty. output is what matters.

pumping is not an indicator of how much you make, nor is a baby who nurses a lot at that age.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:33 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• thanks for your reply, yes i think i am drinking enough, i drink about two gallons of water everyday. do i need more, than that?
    crazymammma

Comment by crazymammma (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• i have no milk in my breast at all, and it takes like four to five hours to even get a little bit in them, when it used to take only an hour or even less, and he is constsantly screaming and acting as if he is starving, and doesn't have but like 3 wet diapers to like maybe five, he has went way down. i am just really worried
    crazymammma

Comment by crazymammma (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• join this group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

It will be easier to help and a lot more seasoned breastfeeders can assess the issue. give as much info as you can in your post
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:45 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Let him nurse as often and as long as he wants, on BOTH sides!! The more you put him on your breast the more your body will make. Your breasts will not always feel full. In fact they sometimes will feel empty, but if you put the baby on your breast milk will let down. I am actually nursing a toddler and a baby. One of the kids will completely 'empty' me and the other one willl nurse immediately after. After a little bit (a minute or two) of being on my breast I will have a second let down! Your body can do it, you just need to keep the baby on your breast.

Join the breastfeeding group too! They will be a great encouragement.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• thank you, i will try that, i let him stay on my breast almost all night last night, but very little came down, is it aa slow process, like the more i do it the fuller i will get/ so should i like put him on it like every hour, or more often than that/
    crazymammma

Comment by crazymammma (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I would put him on whenever he wants. If he is fussing, so if he will latch on. If he is nuzzling you, latch him on. As often as he wants. You don't want to force it! He is learning and your body is too. Sleeping with him beside you is great! It's only unsafe if you are on any medication or have had anything to drink!

Is he crying ALL the time like he is hungry? Does he stay latched on when he goes to nurse?? IF nothing is coming out he won't keep nursing. He will get frustrated and stop. If he stays on, then he IS getting milk!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:48 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• How do you know you have no milk in your breast? I'm confused.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Oh, and how wet are these diapers? Most likely, the solution is just to nurse MORE. Whenever you can. Offer the breast whenever possible, don't limit time at the breast.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 31, 2010