i have only about 45 oz of breastmilk left frozen...my DD is almost 4 mos old...it is NOT dairy free and she seems to be lactose intolerant/sensitive...are the benefits worth the side effects?

ive tried giving her some twice now and she seems to have some tummy troubles and looser stools afterwards...nothing horrible tho....so i tried giving it away or donating it and thats not looking promising and it needs to be used very soon...the thought of throwing it out just breaks my heart!! should i just give it to her a couple times a day anyways so that i dont have to throw it out and she still gets SOME benefits from it or just forget it and get rid of it?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Looser stool is normal of breastfed infants. If she's not reacting outright, I'd give it to her, definitely.

She wouldn't be intolerant of lactose (all milk has lactose regardless of what the mammal consumes), she would be sensitive to dairy proteins. Sometimes it's not an issue, sometimes it is. Is she on regular formula, or--?

Again, I would give her as much as you can. Any is better than none.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:48 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Being lactose intolerant is different than an allergy to cow milk protein. the protein transfers thru the milk. this doesn't mean that she is lactose intolerant.

If she had been tested and proved to have the allergy, I wouldn't stop nursing. I would stop eating dairy instead.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Throwing out breast milk is about the saddest thing I can think of. I would try giving her a bottle a day and see what happens. If I'm not mistaken it's good for 6 months frozen so you should have time to use it.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:41 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I've read that breast milk is good in the freezer for up to 10 months. You can donate to a blood bank or if you know anyone having a bab offer it to them! GL!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:43 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• breast milk will cause lose stools regardless of lactose intolerance. since there are no fillers in it, unlike formula, there isn't much to poop out.

the tummy troubles can be from the change back and fourth from formula to breast milk and back again.

I've honestly never heard of a milk intolerance to natural breast milk other than a reaction to what the mother was eating. and the others are right about it keeping up to six months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• jademom....thats what i mean, since i drink milk then the breastmilk has lactose in it from my diet right? so wouldnt that effect her? maybe im wrong, i dont know but ive heard of women having to go off of dairy while they were BF because of baby's sensitivity
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I do not think that the baby can be allergic to the mothers milk. HOWEVER anything that you eat or drink will be passed to the baby. When I breast feed my daughter I had to give up all spices, soda, sugar. Becasue my diet gave her severe colic. At 4 months I ended up putting her on formula and her tummy trouble went away. Talk to your pediatrician ans dee what he says
    darlinedemoss

Answer by darlinedemoss at 10:39 AM on Oct. 31, 2010